No team-cest unless 8+!

AE15 Wheelsmith Spokes/DA7800 hubs

sorry. I know I asked this question last week about Aerolites. But I decided it would cost me too much to build up using Aerolites. wheelsmiths seem to be a bit cheaper.

Will they fit?

if they do, is there any reason why I should NOT use the AE15s?

BikerFox Wannabe

AE 15s are great spokes

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzer2424
    sorry. I know I asked this question last week about Aerolites. But I decided it would cost me too much to build up using Aerolites. wheelsmiths seem to be a bit cheaper.

Will they fit?

They will fit any regular hub. I built up a pair of Campy Record hubs to Montreal New '76 rims and they are great wheels. Comfortable and relatively light at 1600 grams.

Have fun.

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Quote Originally Posted by zero85ZEN
    They will fit any regular hub. I built up a pair of Campy Record hubs to Montreal New '76 rims and they are great wheels. Comfortable and relatively light at 1600 grams.

Have fun.

yeah. same weight and everything. i looked at the aerolites... 140g for 32 spokes. Same stats for the AE15s. Plus the aerolites are anodized black... which seem to have a horrible history of breaking. AE15s are stainless. ahh oh well. also a ton cheaper.

Chili hed & old bike fixr

Will they fit?

If you look carefully, DT suggests the use of their brass washers under spokeheads of 15G spokes to eliminate wiggle of the 15G spokes in the hub. This wiggle causes the spoke to flex and fail early in the elbow.

Cipo's long lost cousin

Good spokes

Will they fit?

I've built a couple of wheels with AE15's and have been pretty happy with them. Note that they do tend to "wind up" a little as the spokes are fairly light. Be generous lubing up the threads and spoke nipples with your concoction of choice (I use NeverSeize) and you should be fine.
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

No team-cest unless 8+!
    ahh. werd. i'll post a pic or something in 2 weeks or so. have the rims. need a bit more cash for the hubs and spokes.

the plan: total race wheelset.

velocity fusion rims
    alloy nipples
    wheelsmith ae15 spokes
    da 7800 hubs

was thinking radial front
    2x ds, and radial nds.

is that going too weak?

No team-cest unless 8+!
    oh right. i already have a training wheelset I put tons and tons of miles on.

2x (front/rear) lacing 28H
    velocity fusion rims
    da 7800 hubs
    brass nipples
    14 straight gague spokes

want something lighter to race on. hence the wheelset mentioned above.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Will they fit?

the AE15s are 15/16g bladed spokes and should not be used on the driveside. I'm not sure if I mentioned them in my reply on your other thread, but they too fit into standard hub holes.

BikerFox Wannabe

I used them on the drive-side

Quote Originally Posted by weiwentg
    the AE15s are 15/16g bladed spokes and should not be used on the driveside. I'm not sure if I mentioned them in my reply on your other thread, but they too fit into standard hub holes.
    32 three cross with no problems so far. I weigh around 145 to 150lbs. and am very light on my wheels. I debated using other spokes drive-side but two experienced wheelbuilders told me that it shouldn't be a problem if I built the wheels up well. One builder, who is 6'5" and weighs 220lbs told me he never has had very good luck using different spokes or lacing for the drive-side. Advised me to keep it "symetrical". Granted the wheels are fairly new.