12 41.38%
  • Tune 70/170

3 10.34%
  • Other

2 6.90%
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Alchemy vs Chris King vs Tune for 195 rec rider

Which hub do you think is best for a 195Lb recreation rider in hilly areas? I'm primarily buying new wheels to go lighter, but I don't want to do something that makes no sense for my weight.

Alchemy Elf/Orc (some sort of "UL" thing coming?)
    Chris King R45's
    Tune 70/170

I run SRAM 10spd. I'd like to have a low spoke count, prefer the looks of radial front, don't mind different lacking solutions for rear. I like the sapim cx-rays, wouldn't mind mixing in the rear for DS, NDS if that made sense.

The Pacenti's are looking like the most likely mate for rims. Brass nipples. Would love to go alloy, but maybe not reliable enough.

Not really worried about the cost differences. And I know it's a waste of money, but am considering ceramic upgrades since they are available for each of these hubs.

Sounds like the R45's are very reliable, but Alchemy beats them on weight and possibly rigidty that would allow lower spoke counts. Is 20/28 crazy? The Tune's have attractive weights, but I have read some lot problems?

Thoughts?

Online Wheel Builder
    I would usually say go Alchemy, but it may be a bit of a wait to get their new hubs. If you don't mind waiting though, their new hubs should build up to be the most rigid out of all these options. With that said, the CKs and Tunes are still great options. The Kings are the quietest of the bunch (which is unusual for a CK), and the Tunes are more than likely the loudest.
    If it were me, I would wait for the new Alchemys. Sarah and Jeremy are great people to work with, and I love the fact that I know the guy who makes my hubs. Their new bearing designs for the ORC-UL look pretty sweet too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've been through the whole 'waiting for alchemy hubs' routine with their last rear design and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    Getting replacement bearings put in is no picnic either (though I hear that might be addressed with the new ones).

Great hubs but not worth the hassle IMO. (especially for me at about 150 where the extra stiffness is just overkill).

I'd get the Kings if I were you (though I know basically nothing about the Tune hubs) Worring about a few grams and striving for low spoke count is kind of foolish by the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I'm confused, you are a rec rider, but you are trying to save negligible weight. Unless you have a real gain (race day bike weight), stick with the reliable stuff (brass, stronger pattern, more spokes). I have a really good source for CK stuff, even with the low price the maintenance factor is not worth it.

irony intended
    I am not technically inclined, so my vote for Alchemy is based on "I like their sound best"...while the CK R45 are not all that loud either, the Alchemy isn't particularly obnoxious in this regard
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I weigh 185 lbs and have a pair of Enve 2.45 rims laced to Alchemy hubs. The rear is 28 hole DT Comp spokes. Alchemy's Jeremy specifies that the drive side ORC should be laced 3x while the non-drive side is laced 2x. This has made for a very stiff wheel. The front is 24 hole radial laced elbows in with DT Aerolites as Jeremy specifies. The only issue I have had is that it is easy to pinch the bearings on both the front and the drive side cassette carrier bearing. I now am very careful how much tension I place on the skewers.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I would go with the King R45 hubs. The Alchemys have great wheelbuilding geometry, but they are not the easiest to service. Their main downfall is that there is no locking mechanism to set the bearing preload. They depend on loctite to keep the adjusting cap on the ORC in place and I have found that to be problematic on my ORCs. On the one that I recently overhauled I can't keep the preload set where I set it. Over the course of a few rides, the cap loosens and creates play in the hub. Drives me nuts!

The R45 have a collar that can be secured with a bolt to maintain the preload where you set it. Much better design, imho.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Curious what the eta is for the Orc-UL's. Anyone heard? How good is the promise date?

RoadBikeReview Member

Alchemy vs Chris King vs Tune for 195 rec rider

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo1 View Post
    The Alchemys have great wheelbuilding geometry, but they are not the easiest to service. Their main downfall is that there is no locking mechanism to set the bearing preload. They depend on loctite to keep the adjusting cap on the ORC in place and I have found that to be problematic on my ORCs. On the one that I recently overhauled I can't keep the preload set where I set it. Over the course of a few rides, the cap loosens and creates play in the hub. Dr.
    Is this a common experience?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    I don't know if the cause is the same as he described because I didn't do the fix work myself but I've had the same problem with my ORC. It was more than "a few rides" between fixes that it happened with me though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    I used the blue loctite stick when re-assembling the ORC hub and haven't had that problem.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyhedron View Post
    Curious what the eta is for the Orc-UL's. Anyone heard? How good is the promise date?
    I would take it with a grain of salt. The original ETA was January, now it's March. I'll bet early summer is when the hubs get released (Shimano at least).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I used the blue loctite stick when re-assembling the ORC hub and haven't had that problem.
    An expensive hub which needs loctite to stop the end cap from unscrewing and changing the bearing pre-load. This sounds like a design fault.

Höchstgeschwindigkeit
    I have both Alchemy and R45s. I would get the R45s. Nothing bad to say about Alchemy really but the R45s have been flawless for 2+ years and 16k miles. The Orc otoh has had some bearing problems and I had to replace them after 1500 miles. perhaps that's why there are new bearing designs. I also like the preload on the CKs compared to Alchemy. I think the only benefit to Alchemy is geometry which is better but overall quality/reliability CK all the way.