RoadBikeReview Member

Alex DA28 rims, impressions?

I see this rims from several vendors on the net. They are quite a bit more affordable than Mavic or DT Swiss. A lot of places I see them are at single speed vendors. But I would like to build up a utility old school 7 speed Dura Ace uniglide set for 126mm road bike use with side pull brakes. Do these have smooth enough sidewalls? Is it OK that they don't have ferules? Cosmetically, do they leave an impression of quality (or style)? How are they to work with from a wheelbuilder's perspective? Thanks, for any feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

It's A Fine Candidate

If my impressions count, than I think that they are a very safe bet. I got a used front wheel dirt cheap featuring one of these rims. Normally, I build my own wheels, so I have a bit of a "feel" as to the quality of some rims. After having to re-true this wheel, my impression is that the Alex DA28 rims are far and away better than the old "flat" (non-aerodynamic) rims that were common place before the year 2000. This rim was so easy to true. I also noticed that its strength was far better than the aforementioned old style rims.

OTG
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    I just built a set of wheels with DA28 rims & Ultegra hubs.
    They built up nicely, not much fuss getting them to tension evenly and true up.
    Both rims seemed to be of good quality.

I'm used to rims with eyelets or ferrules, and it was a little tougher to turn the nipples at higher tensions, but not much, and it certainly wasn't a problem.
    Caveat: I haven't ridden them yet.

Aesthetically, the stickers that come on them are ugly (IMO), but easy enough to remove (peel them off slowly, staying almost flat to the rim).
    With that done, they look quite nice: flat black with machined sidewalls, silver spokes & hubs. I'd love to have a set with a polished aluminum finish, but alas.

I'm planning on using them for my race wheels, so I'm hoping that they ride as nice as they look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    These are some of my favourite budget rims. I've built several wheels with them, and had nothing but good experience-the rims I bought were all very round and true, and built up easily. They build a very strong wheel with higher spoke counts.

From a wheelbuilding perspective, I prefer rims with eyelets, as there is less friction between the nipple and the rim, allowing a better 'feel' for spoke windup during spoke tensioning. In use, I have had no problems with cracking around the spoke holes on these rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks for the input. Now if I could just find the Fixed Gear / Track Bike vendor on the web that was offering these on clearance. I forgot the name of the company. They were on clearance for like 32$ each.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Has anyone found a spoke tension spec for this rim? I can't find any specs on the Alex site.

(105 hubs, da28 700c rims, DT 2.0/1.8/2.0)