RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Alloy Rim recommendations for a Powertap?

I have been contemplating a power meter and have concluded that a Powertap hub is probably the most cost-effective because it will let me also upgrade my stock wheels which weigh in at almost 2000 grams alone.

Any suggestions on a rim? I'm interested in clincher, possibly tubeless compatible. This would be my only set of wheels so I am looking for a good all-around rim. I am about 80 kg. Is there a minimum spoke count I should look for?
    I'm looking at:
    DT Swiss R460
    DT Swiss RR411
    Easton R90 SL
    HED Belgium C2

I am leaning toward the RR411 in terms of price/performance, the R460 is cheap but a sleeved rim. The 411 is not a particularly deep rim, does 2-3 mm make that much a difference? Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I've had a powertap wheel with a C2 rim that then got rebuilt into a Kinlin XR31T. Both seemed to be about the same performance from the rim perspective for me.

I'd go for 28 spokes minimum, it's what I have and I weigh 140lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Nothing wrong with your choices but have a look at H Plus Son Archetype. Very good rim at a decent price. I couldn't tell the difference between those and C2's but my wallet certainly felt a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    My next build is going to be with the dt 411s in a 20/24. I weigh a bit less than you and live on the front range of Colorado and climb hard and descend fast every day, 310 of them last year, and love, love, love light wheels. I went to your profile and see that you live in the LA area, so I assume you get to do some climbing. If you are really tough on wheels you could go 24/28, or as low as 20/24, especially if you are moving to a 25 or 28 tire. Life is short, go light, make sure they are well built, and keep the old wheels around for a rainy day, which I here you had a # of earlier this year.

I've been riding Velocity Aeroheads (1430 grams + off center rear) for the last 7 years and just love them. Go with a revolution type, or bladed equivalent spoke everywhere except the pulling drive side, where you'll want standard double butted spokes and you will have a light, lively, durable wheelset.

grizzly moderator
    For the "good all around" wheel you are looking for I would use an absolute minimum count of 24f and 28r DB 14/15 round spokes and a rim not below 450 grams.
    From your list of rims, the HED and the Easton would be my first choice, then the 460.

I would save the extra light rims and the extra light spokes for a niche built wheel.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Nothing wrong with your choices but have a look at H Plus Son Archetype. Very good rim at a decent price. I couldn't tell the difference between those and C2's but my wallet certainly felt a difference.
    I rebuilt my PowerTap hub with an Archetype rim, was a 32 spoke hub. Raced with it for a year and use it regularly on the trainer. A good rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Powertap itself sells an R460 wheelset with a claimed 1800g weight. I've had their 32H wheels for a few years and gotten good use out of them.

You might ask for other recommendations over at wheelbuilder.com.
    It's Mueller Time