Event
    Jun 2013

Alpine Loop Tire Selection

Forum for discussing tire selection for the Alpine Loop route in the Alpine Loop Gran Fondo, Harrisonburg, Virginia.

What are you considering? What's worked (or didn't work) for you in the past?

The Alpine Loop Gran Fondo
    Last edited by Alpine Loop; 06-26-2013 at 06:24 AM.

flinty-eyed moderator
    ProRace 4's for the Medio (75 mile) version both years. Doing the full 100+ option this year- any true gravel to worry about?
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    What's different about this ride, other than it has a name and is called Gran Fondo, that you feel you have to make a special tire selection for (I'm assuming you have already selected tires for your bike)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Because it is not your standard *Gran Fondo*

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    What's different about this ride, other than it has a name and is called Gran Fondo, that you feel you have to make a special tire selection for (I'm assuming you have already selected tires for your bike)?
    It *could* be something to do with the 20+ miles or so of "gravel" the Alpine Loop offers, considering the first 5 mile "gravel" climb has numerous stretches of super loose sketchy fist sized rocks and pitches close to 20%.

I have great confidence in my Conti GranPrix4Seasons in 28mm size for the ALGF. I suffered a few pinch punctures last year at ALGF on 25s. The 28s were trouble free for the Rapha Gentlemen's Race NE, though, including a very healthy amount of rocky gravel going both up and down.
    Last edited by champamoore; 06-26-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.” - Greg Henderson

Now it can be Told! Further Truth about De-evolution.

Event
    Jun 2013
    Alpine Loop Tire Selection-alpine-loop-gravel-dirt-clmb.jpg

You can also check out the event info about the dirt/gravel roads here:

Dirt, Tires, Gears : The Alpine Loop Gran Fondo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    That's the *smooth* part of the "gravel", too. ;]
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.” - Greg Henderson

Now it can be Told! Further Truth about De-evolution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    The big climb is crazy rugged.

New 25c Conti GranPrix 4-Seasons, when mounted to Stan's Alpha 340s, air up to over 27mm. I ran this combo at 80psi last year (I weighed 175# then) and I was amazed at the abuse they took with NO flats.

Sadly, I'm going to miss this years Alpine Loop, but if I were going back I'd absolutely run Conti GranPrix 4-Seasons / Stan's Alpha 340s again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Loop View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alpine loop gravel dirt clmb.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	283087

You can also check out the event info about the dirt/gravel roads here:

Dirt, Tires, Gears : The Alpine Loop Gran Fondo
    I see. Looks like the type of ride I would use Vittoria Paves for. By the way Vittoria makes a 27mm version of the Pave now. I've been fine with the 24mm Pave on roads like that but I'm fairly light.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Loop View Post
    Forum for discussing tire selection for the Alpine Loop route in the Alpine Loop Gran Fondo, Harrisonburg, Virginia.
    Hmm ... registration a little light this year?
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

Event
    Jun 2013
    Alpine Loop Tire Selection-jfp_hires_2012-alpine-loop-gran-fondo_20120915_1538.jpg

Looking forward to the adventure!

Event
    Jun 2013
    Attachment 286608

The second major dirt/gravel road is within the National Forest on Fire Road 85. Known as the “Dark Side Climb,” the second major dirt section on the Alpine Loop is on Forest Road 85 which winds its way up the western side of Shenandoah Mountain toward the peak of Reddish Knob. (A portion of this road is also used in the Shenandoah Mountain 100 - Mountain Bike Endurance race. In that event, the climb is called "The Death Climb.) The Forest Road is primarily dirt surfaced, and where it is loose includes the natural sand, grit, peebles and often-exposed slabs of rock. SUV and trucks are able to travel on this road. Midway up the climb, riders will rock and roll down a half-mile descent dropping 300-feet in elevation. It’s a thrilling experience, and a great set-up for the remainder of the climb. Route maps and equipment recommendations are update on The Alpine Loop Gran Fondo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I've done the Dark Side climb 2x on 25mm Gatorskins (front regular, rear Ultra) at about 90psi. The short descents are a little rough but other than that no issues.

That 1st dirt climb is the hardest of the day due to the steep pitches. The Dark Side climb actually wasn't that bad IMHO, just really long. (still a hard climb, don't get me wrong...)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    I did the century for my first time this year and since I was looking for a second set of wheels decided to go tubeless. Bontrager Race Lite with 25c R3 tires. Wide track rim with tubeless running 80lbs or so. Passed dozens of people with flats (who then passed me on every climb) still the ride quality was great and no flats of course. Looking forward to next year.