RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Alternative to Michelin power other than GP4000

Curious what everyone is using with good results.
    I have used most often the Michelin pro4 and in the last couple of seasons the Michelin power endurance. It gives me a good balance of a nice feel on the road couple with durability -I got about 5000 KM out of a pair last year in fact with only one flat @ the end of the season.

I have tried to GP4000 and didn't care for them
    I tried a pair of Corsa Evo CX and thought they felt phenomenal - but I flatted very early on an have been reluctant to try another set since.

My primary bike is a propel and I use 23mm tires @ about 110/100 rear and front. Our roads go from decent to horrible (eastern quebec).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    I tried a pair of Corsa Evo CX and thought they felt phenomenal - but I flatted very early on an have been reluctant to try another set since.

My primary bike is a propel and I use 23mm tires @ about 110/100 rear and front. Our roads go from decent to horrible (eastern quebec).
    1. Get over the coincidence. Those are great tires and flats happen. If getting flats puts you off a tires you'll eventually be riding solid tires.

2. I take a lot riding vacations in the Eastern Townships so know the roads well. I love riding there but I think I'd stay home if 23mm tires and 110/100 were what I had to use. Seriously dude, bigger tires and less PSI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    1. Get over the coincidence. Those are great tires and flats happen. If getting flats puts you off a tires you'll eventually be riding solid tires.

2. I take a lot riding vacations in the Eastern Townships so know the roads well. I love riding there but I think I'd stay home if 23mm tires and 110/100 were what I had to use. Seriously dude, bigger tires and less PSI.
    So no answer then?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    So no answer then?
    If you don't see two alternatives to Mich 23mm tires at 110/100, which is what you asked for, then I guess not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So no answer then?
    And here I thought that bigger tires with less PSI was a good answer.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I can recommend the same thing as Jay S.

I've been riding the Corsa tires (both old and new style) for a number of years and for me they work great. I generally switch to Rubino Pros for winter riding and for on the rollers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I take a lot riding vacations in the Eastern Townships so know the roads well. I love riding there but I think I'd stay home if 23mm tires and 110/100 were what I had to use. Seriously dude, bigger tires and less PSI.
    ^This.^

If you can fit 25mm or even 28mm tires, get some! Running tires a little wider will allow you to use less pressure and will give you a nicer ride....and.....trust me, they won't slow you down! I'm running 75/95 F/R on my 28mm tires and I'm 180lbs. How much do you weigh?

What didn't you care for with the GP4000s? I'll have to say that I have never used them, but people who have them love them. They are expensive though.

As far as Vittoria Corsa Evos giving you flats, keep in mind that the Corsa series tires are made for comfort and speed at the expense of puncture resistance. So if comfort is your priority, this is your tire.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Maxxis Refuse is a bulletproof tire, but rides on the harsh side.

There is no tire that is excellent at everything. There are only compromises. Right now, I am using Vittoria Rubino Pro G+s and so far, I am pleased with them. They seem to be a good compromise between comfort and puncture resistance. They also cost less than the GP4000s.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ^This.^

If you can fit 25mm or even 28mm tires, get some! Running tires a little wider will allow you to use less pressure and will give you a nicer ride....and.....trust me, they won't slow you down! I'm running 75/95 F/R on my 28mm tires and I'm 180lbs. How much do you weigh?

What didn't you care for with the GP4000s? I'll have to say that I have never used them, but people who have them love them. They are expensive though.

As far as Vittoria Corsa Evos giving you flats, keep in mind that the Corsa series tires are made for comfort and speed at the expense of puncture resistance. So if comfort is your priority, this is your tire.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Maxxis Refuse is a bulletproof tire, but rides on the harsh side.

There is no tire that is excellent at everything. There are only compromises. Right now, I am using Vittoria Rubino Pro G+s and so far, I am pleased with them. They seem to be a good compromise between comfort and puncture resistance. They also cost less than the GP4000s.
    This argument against significant pressure differences was recently put out there.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...gher-pressure/
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    This argument against significant pressure differences was recently put out there.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...gher-pressure/
    Interesting article and good point on the hard front braking issue. However, a 20 PSI difference at road pressures isn't all that much. That equates to about a 45%/55% weight distribution. Since I usually carry a beam rack, that makes the rear heavier anyway. So that is the opposite argument they use about touring riders carrying front loads.

Not to mention with less front pressure, an unavoidable road hazard is less likely to take me down.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I asked for alternative to a tire choice. Nowhere was there complaint or any indication of dissatisfaction with my current setup.
    Your need to use an authoritative tone is curious and a little funny.
    It is a message board and I realize that any and all can reply - but your reply had nothing to do with my question - if you think it did you comprehension needs improvement or you are maybe just posturing - not sure which it is but thanks for the help.
    If you don't see two alternatives to Mich 23mm tires at 110/100, which is what you asked for, then I guess not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thats good to know - I have read many complaints of quick flats - maybe I will give them another shot - I thought they felt fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    I can recommend the same thing as Jay S.

I've been riding the Corsa tires (both old and new style) for a number of years and for me they work great. I generally switch to Rubino Pros for winter riding and for on the rollers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Lombard,
    25s don't fit this bike - I do have them on another. There isn't enough clearance.
    I found the GP4000 buzzy compared to the Michelin pro 4s I had on at the time. They were at 100/90 on that particular bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ^This.^

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Lombard,
    25s don't fit this bike - I do have them on another. There isn't enough clearance.
    I found the GP4000 buzzy compared to the Michelin pro 4s I had on at the time. They were at 100/90 on that particular bike.
    This is odd. I have a 2014 propel advanced and every single 25 mm clincher I have tried fits without any issue. There is frame clearance for 28 mm but the brake cable rubs the tire. I've run as large as 27 mm but this required putting a little kink in the cable above the tire. Found it didn't have any effect on brake feel.

My training tires are zipp rt 25 tubeless which measure at 26 mm and they fit fine. Been running Michelin power 25 mm in races.

My favorite tires are schwalbe ones. Not sure about durability but ride beautifully.

Have ridden gp4000 s in the past and hated the dead feeling.

Giant went through 4 iterations of propel brakes and they're all terrible. I've been told that fouriers have more clearance but don't really want to spend another $200 to find out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lombard - Have you tried lower psi on your bike? I weigh 15 or 20 lbs more than you and run ~92psi on a 25mm tire, may be worth a shot.

Fasterstronger - The buzzy sensations with the GP4k's might have been because of the higher pressures you're running, if you still have them you can re-try at a lower pressure and see if that helps.

On a newer bike I have with a 25 in the back I switch between using GP4ks, Specialized Turbo and Michelin Endurance but will probably try the Mich Pro Powers next.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Neophyte
    I like the Specialized Turbo Pro but it might be getting phased out, and they don't do 23 mm anymore. I haven't tried Turbo Cottons yet but planning to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Curious what everyone is using with good results.
    I have used most often the Michelin pro4 and in the last couple of seasons the Michelin power endurance. It gives me a good balance of a nice feel on the road couple with durability -I got about 5000 KM out of a pair last year in fact with only one flat @ the end of the season.

I have tried to GP4000 and didn't care for them

If you're looking to try out something different, Pirelli just put out their 700c tires, one of my friends loves them, personally I have a set of michelin powers just sitting around in their box for now, until I use up my vittoria corsa's...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Carlos - I have tried pro 4's 25mm and I got some rub. My bike is a 2016 sl1 - with giant's carbon wheels if that matters.

I have heard great things about furriers - and really think I will make the switch eventually. Other than the brakes - I love the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosflanders View Post
    This is odd. I have a 2014 propel advanced and every single 25 mm clincher I have tried fits without any issue. There is frame clearance for 28 mm but the brake cable rubs the tire. I've run as large as 27 mm but this required putting a little kink in the cable above the tire. Found it didn't have any effect on brake feel.

My training tires are zipp rt 25 tubeless which measure at 26 mm and they fit fine. Been running Michelin power 25 mm in races.

My favorite tires are schwalbe ones. Not sure about durability but ride beautifully.

Have ridden gp4000 s in the past and hated the dead feeling.

Giant went through 4 iterations of propel brakes and they're all terrible. I've been told that fouriers have more clearance but don't really want to spend another $200 to find out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks upstateSC-rider. I did try them at 100/90 when I used them for a bit.
    Ive been enjoying the power endurance a lot - curious to try out the cross eco again - may hav to give it another shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Lombard - Have you tried lower psi on your bike? I weigh 15 or 20 lbs more than you and run ~92psi on a 25mm tire, may be worth a shot.

Fasterstronger - The buzzy sensations with the GP4k's might have been because of the higher pressures you're running, if you still have them you can re-try at a lower pressure and see if that helps.

On a newer bike I have with a 25 in the back I switch between using GP4ks, Specialized Turbo and Michelin Endurance but will probably try the Mich Pro Powers next.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I'll check them out - thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diopena1 View Post
    If you're looking to try out something different, Pirelli just put out their 700c tires, one of my friends loves them, personally I have a set of michelin powers just sitting around in their box for now, until I use up my vittoria corsa's...

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    My favorite go fast, performance tire is Veloflex Corsa and Master (tan sidewall). I like these (a little) better than the Vittoria Corsa. If you want more durability with good performance, then I recommend the Vittoria Open Pave. I also recently got a set of Panaracer Evo Race Gravel tires that are pretty nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Carlos - I have tried pro 4's 25mm and I got some rub. My bike is a 2016 sl1 - with giant's carbon wheels if that matters.

I have heard great things about furriers - and really think I will make the switch eventually. Other than the brakes - I love the bike.
    25 mm PR4s run closer to 28 mm, not surprised you got some rub.

Just about any other 25 mm tire should fit.

For that size I'd run about 80 psi for my 165 lb self

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thats good to know - I have read many complaints of quick flats - maybe I will give them another shot.
    I had a pair on for one ride on a perfect road I’ve never flatted on. Flat! Put them on eBay and got some Michelin Power Competitions. My theory is those little grooves on the Evo Cx “catches” debris. But who knows?