Nasty, brutish, and tall.

Ambrosio Excellence ERD?

Title says it all....anyone have the ERD for this rim? Thanks - S.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Title says it all....anyone have the ERD for this rim? Thanks - S.
    No one? C'mon, I know some of you have built with these before... Ambrosio's website is just shy of useless, the few North American carriers aren't responding...can anyone chime in an save me some time? (I can measure the rims when they arrive, but then I'll be waiting longer to get spokes from Mike at Endos.)

-The Good Doctor

FTF
    banned
    No one? C'mon, I know some of you have built with these before... Ambrosio's website is just shy of useless, the few North American carriers aren't responding...can anyone chime in an save me some time? (I can measure the rims when they arrive, but then I'll be waiting longer to get spokes from Mike at Endos.)
    Did you look at the DT spoke calculator?

Quote Originally Posted by FTF
    Did you look at the DT spoke calculator?
    Yep. They've got an older model listed ("Ledo"?), and the F28, but I'm not sure whether or not the older one matches. The F28 definitely does not.

-The Good Doctor

banned
    Damon Rinard's Spocalc pegs the ERD at 606mm.

Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    Damon Rinard's Spocalc pegs the ERD at 606mm.
    Found that, too. But Damon Rinard also has a post somewhere (Google'd it) saying that Ambrosio emailed him and told him the ERD is 601.5 mm. Too much for me to just wing it.

So...I'm going to have the rims much sooner than expected (Monday) and the frame and the rest of my parts a little later than I expected (Friday), so I'll have plenty of time and won't be waiting on "just" spokes. I'll measure them myself when they arrive. Thanks for the help - S.

-The Good Doctor

banned
    Found that, too. But Damon Rinard also has a post somewhere (Google'd it) saying that Ambrosio emailed him and told him the ERD is 601.5 mm. Too much for me to just wing it.

So...I'm going to have the rims much sooner than expected (Monday) and the frame and the rest of my parts a little later than I expected (Friday), so I'll have plenty of time and won't be waiting on "just" spokes. I'll measure them myself when they arrive. Thanks for the help - S.
    Yeah, I saw a similar post somewhere. It seems Ambrosio might measure their ERD differently than most others.

Quote Originally Posted by alienator
    It seems Ambrosio might measure their ERD differently than most others.
    Sort of makes you wonder... How many ways are there to measure ERD?

-The Good Doctor

banned
    Yes it does. Someone somewhere posted to a BBS wondering if that 601 ERD came about because Ambrosio didn't added the nipple length or summat. Maybe if I'd stayed at a Holiday Inn last night I could tell you more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

ERD measurements

Spokes are usually sized so that they run just to the end of the nipple threads, which typically end at the bottom of the slot in the head of the nipple. Calculating this length requires knowing the rim's ERD (Effective Rim Diameter), as well as the hub dimensions.

There are two common standards for specifying ERD. One is to measure the diameter to the nipple seat, i.e. the edge of the hole to where the nipple sits. This is the method that DT uses. When using this method, the extra height of the nipple head must be added, so the spokes run all the way up the nipple threads.

A second method to specify ERD is the measure directly to the top of the nipple threads. For example, Wheelsmith has a tool called the Rim Rods, which include a pseudo nipple head that sits in the spoke hole, to measure directly to the diameter of the ends of the spokes. This is generally the more common way to measure rim ERD, since you can enter this number directly into a spoke calculator, without having to add an extra term for the nipple head height.

It sounds like Rinard's Spocalc might be using the second definition of ERD (to the ends of the spokes), where as Ambrosia might be using the first definition (to the nipple seat).