Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

American Classic...newbie post

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GregNH 
#1 ·
#3 ·
FYI-

That starting price is too high for a used 2003 420 wheelset- pass.

The 2003's have the older bearings which eventually will need replacement. The 2005 bearings are supposed to be much nicer. American Classic is a good company to deal with though. They have always done right by me.

Those Tufo's on there suuuuuuuuuck. Another poster analogized them to riding on garden hoses. I would add, garden hoses that flat alot and cost a fortune.

The 420's are a pretty good wheelset- except the braking area is small, and you will need to update the bearings to the 2005 versions sooner or later. I see a decent amount of 420's in the RBR classifieds as well. I am thinking of grabbing a set for my wife's Tri bike, as it came with craptastic Alex wheels.

#5 ·
moosryan said:
what are tufos?

thanks a lot btw
A brand of tire. And you are welcome.

:)

#7 ·
Mixed Reviews

AmClassic is a great company to deal with, but you will find very mixed reviews on the reliability of the hubs. I had a pair of AC 350s (the shallow profile rim in relation to the 420s) which I bought as race-only wheels. I had a bearing seize, and a rim collapse, in different races. Both times AC serviced the wheel (new bearings, relaced the stronger Sprint 350 rim), then this year the freehub broke. The new bearings may have solved the earlier problems, but they just aren't wheels I can recommend whole-heartedly. When they work, they're nice wheels (and very light) but reliability is a question.

#8 ·
420's

they're great..but i dont really trust them...two weeks ago all the spokes at the back got loose during one ride and right in front of my bike shop one of them even fell out of the rim...not that nice. i mean during that ride there were like 300m of bad cobbles but that shouldnt kill them. if you can true your wheels or if somebody does it for you they're fine. didnt race em so far though...i kind of want to be in shape when i race em :D
but they are nice to ride in normal conditions(means good streets)....just wouldnt take em to roubaix ;)
sry for my crappy english...didnt talk nor write it for a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.