RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Any experience with Conti Sport Contact or Schwalbe Durano for Touring?

Does anyone have any experience with Schwalbe Durano or Conti Contact in 32mm or 35mm widths for loaded touring?

Or any ideas how they might ride generally or hold up?

My wife and I are getting Surly's with 26" wheels so I'm looking for good 26" tires in the 28 to 35mm range.

Any thoughts or suggestions on these tires or any other good 26" candidates in the 28 to 35mm range would be greatly appreciated. I also found the Michelin City Tire 26x1.40" (35mm) but don't know anything about that one either. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Conti SPORT Contact

Actually I meant Conti SPORT Contact, not the Contact.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Well, I've had a pair of 622 X 32 (700c) Sport Contacts on my urban bike for the last month, and they have been holding up well.
    We have lots of bits of sharp rock and thorns along our paths and streets here in the desert, and they hold up well.
    They seem to have plenty of traction with my disc brakes as well.
    They ride nice at 80 psi (I'm 200lbs geared up) and have a low rolling resistance at that pressure.
    85psi is max for them. I don't know it that would be enough pressure at the 32mm width for a heavy touring bike.
    My experience has been excellent so far and compares perfectly to most reviews of the sport Contact .

Resident Dutchbag
    I have them on my commuter. I have nearly 6,000 miles on them without flatting. Rolling resistance is pretty good but they aren't super grippy, especially in wet conditions.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Continental Top Contact

It's easy to pack an extra folding tire as a spare too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisclougherty View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Schwalbe Durano or Conti Contact in 32mm or 35mm widths for loaded touring?

Or any ideas how they might ride generally or hold up?

My wife and I are getting Surly's with 26" wheels so I'm looking for good 26" tires in the 28 to 35mm range.

Any thoughts or suggestions on these tires or any other good 26" candidates in the 28 to 35mm range would be greatly appreciated. I also found the Michelin City Tire 26x1.40" (35mm) but don't know anything about that one either. Thanks.
    Hi Chris,

What tyres did you go for in the end? How did they hold up?

Thanks.