RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Any thoughts on a 6 bolt 100/135 qr set?

I picked up a used 2015 steel volagi viaje for a great price with S- 105. Very happy with everything accept the base wheelset. I've had to tighten spokes (true) a lot of creaking (probably need stress relief) and they don't seem to spin up as quick. I'm between 185-190 presently and ride the bike as my winter/threat of rain on descent roads. I'm looking at BWW 6 bolt 100/135 qr set that is advertised at 1680 g that look pretty nice. Anything else out there in that range I should consider? I'm not a racer, just looking for a good, solid, under 1800-1900g, that is no to low maintenance set. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    BWW?

One suggestion could be to check out WheelProject on the bay.

Just had a Novatec/CX-Ray/r331 wheelset built up for what I feel is a pretty good price and weight. Gravel bike use; r331 rims state max 80psi.

Using dt swiss RWS skewers.

A wheelist
    BWW wheels are a known quality in both parts, build and if ever needed, warranty. Anything off e-bay is a crap-shoot at best for the last two. The BWW wheels will be as good or better than you can find anywhere, especially considering price, shipping costs (usually zero) and expert build quality.

Is that the price range you're aiming at? If you want something more expensive then I have another suggestion for you.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
    BWW?

One suggestion could be to check out WheelProject on the bay.

Just had a Novatec/CX-Ray/r331 wheelset built up for what I feel is a pretty good price and weight. Gravel bike use; r331 rims state max 80psi.

Using dt swiss RWS skewers.
    BWW = Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. thanks for the reply

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    BWW wheels are a known quality in both parts, build and if ever needed, warranty. Anything off e-bay is a crap-shoot at best for the last two. The BWW wheels will be as good or better than you can find anywhere, especially considering price, shipping costs (usually zero) and expert build quality.

Is that the price range you're aiming at? If you want something more expensive then I have another suggestion for you.
    Thanks Mike, I had a set of Pure Podium Race on the bike I sold to buy the volagi and really liked and bought a set of dura ace hubs that I built for my "good" bike so I know they are good people. Don't feel like building a set just want something out of the box for this bike but I'm open to other suggestions.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrj View Post
    Thanks Mike, I had a set of Pure Podium Race on the bike I sold to buy the volagi and really liked and bought a set of dura ace hubs that I built for my "good" bike so I know they are good people. Don't feel like building a set just want something out of the box for this bike but I'm open to other suggestions.
    I don't know what you're going to see that's any better in that price range. If you want to spend more money (and get WI hubs) look at November Wheels. Few are as passionate about higher end wheels as they are.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I don't know what you're going to see that's any better in that price range. If you want to spend more money (and get WI hubs) look at November Wheels. Few are as passionate about higher end wheels as they are.
    I've read very good things about November wheels. Not really looking to spend that much on a winter / threat of rain bike. Besides if I bought the set I was looking at ( kinlin, red WI - $710) they would cost more than what I paid for the bike...lol The BWW set is 350.99 shipped. Anything between that and 500 that I don't have to build? Thanks

CX'er
    BWW and november are great brands with a lot of value. As a rim choice, I really like velocity ailerons but I'm pretty biased towards velocity since they're a local company and they support much of our racing in Michigan. I have a set of ailerons built up with cx-75 hubs that haven't needed any service in a lot of gravel road miles and some CX use, outside of greasing the ball bearings in the hubs after a couple of the really wet races. They're also supposed to have some aero benefits if that matters.

Boyd cycling also has altamonts that are pretty good for a good price and I'm pretty sure they've expanded a lot of their wheels to disc brakes now, maybe even some will have non-machined sidewalls for a semi-disc-specific rim. The ailerons are truly disc specific but how much that matters in the real world is debatable.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by rlrj View Post
    The BWW set is 350.99 shipped. Anything between that and 500 that I don't have to build? Thanks
    I'm sure there are lots but if you're spending more than the BWW ones, make sure you are getting more for the money or it's just an exercise of throwing money away. For instance, most wheelsets, below the November ones with White Industry hubs, have a myriad names on their hubs but the're almost all made in the Orient. And as they all use roughly the same spokes, the only difference is in the rims. And..................almost all those are made across the Pacific too (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

So, find something between the BWW and the NB and I'll probably tell you that you're paying too much. They're both wheelsets that are pared to the bone when it comes to parts, quality of labor and warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I would be looking for something wider for my disc bike. If this is the Pure set, it shows 20.5 outer. By todays standard,THat is pretty narrow even for NON disc wheels. Maybe something 25 wide so you can take advantage ofthe extra tire clearance.

Inner Width: 15.5mm
    Outer Width: 20.5mm
    Rim Depth: 26mm

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    I would be looking for something wider for my disc bike. If this is the Pure set, it shows 20.5 outer. By todays standard,THat is pretty narrow even for NON disc wheels. Maybe something 25 wide so you can take advantage ofthe extra tire clearance.

Contact them and see what they have that might not be on the site.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see lots of nice lightly used disc wheels on Ebay. There's a used set of HED Ardennes + on there now with rotors
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post

Thanks for the reply, that's what holding me back on this set. I have contacted Chris to see if they have a wide rim disc set in my price range 350 - 500 .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Contact them and see what they have that might not be on the site.
    Thanks I'm waiting to hear from Chris.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I see lots of nice lightly used disc wheels on Ebay. There's a used set of HED Ardennes + on there now with rotors
    Its a risk buying used wheels on ebay that I don't want to take. If the set is close by and can take a look 1st maybe. If a HED ardennes set is in my price range I tend to be more cautious. That said, I buy and sell used items on ebay usually with no problems.