Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura Roubaix View Post
    There's probably several factor's involve, my weight, low spoke count on some, the terrain i ride mostly hills, bad wheel design(The Pacenti's) probably some too high tension, on my part, I have use Roger Musson e-book on my last two builds, plus I use a Park Tool Tension meter, an have had better luck with them lasting so far.
    You won't go wrong if you follow Roger Musson's book. Follow his directions to the letter and you will have success. As far as tension meters, they can be out of calibration, but shouldn't be too far off. If you are on good terms with your bike shop, you could compare yours to theirs and get a feel for where you really are regarding specific tension. Generally, tension meters are most helpful in determining relative tensions so you can equalize tensions.

The wheels you built that failed both had low spoke counts, so that is what probably did you in on those. The fact that you are heavy AND ride lots of hills puts considerable stress on a wheel. However, there are heavier people who have had success with the H+ Son Archetypes and a 32 spoke count. That is a robust rim that I don't expect you to have problems with.

The DT 440 you had was probably a factory build. Nothing will be precise with those. Some of those aren't even stress relieved before being shipped out. Velomine is an online wheel retailer who has a note on new wheels to re-true them after 100 miles or so. A well built wheel should never need to be re-trued unless you are in a crash or hit a very large road hazard.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You're talking about external widths which are meaningless when it comes to tire profile and performance. The HED Belgiums and H+ Son Archetypes are both 17mm internal width which is around 23mm external. Whether the OP can go wider with his preferred tires will depend on the chain stay clearance on his bike. And IMO, there is no reason to go with any less than 32 spokes on a rear wheel. Either of these rim choices with a 32 spoke count will give the OP a long life. Another excellent rim for the buck is the DT R460. It is less expensive because it is sleeved rather than welded. In theory welded is better, but in reality, it really doesn't make much difference other than $$. You may get a cyclical brake thud for the first 100 miles or so, but it will go away as the brake track wears a bit.

Shimano generally lets others dip their toe in the water before they jump on it. Yes, it's surprising they have stayed with 15mm (20.8mm) rims this long. I can't imagine it will be too much longer before Shimano jumps on the wider rim bandwagon.
    Agree. And in this specific case, there is an obvious reason Shimano is taking their time. To make a bigger, wider rim, and still be at a competitive weight, and still be safe for riders of all weight, is a challenge.

One of the negatives of being a monster business like Shimano, is the sheer number of people using their products. Everything from 130lb guys on the Pro Tours, to 300lb rec riders who buy C24's simply because they can afford it.

Shimano is the most likely company to have a 300lb rider on a 16 hole C24 front wheel, and the guy lives in pot hole infested Michigan. You get the picture ... big companies have a wider array of users. In this case, the guy bought a wheel not really compatible with his weight and/or nature of riding. But if he breaks that wheel and injures himself, he will still have no problem finding an attorney happy to sue a large company like Shimano.

While smaller companies still face this exposure, it's not nearly to the magnitude of a massive oem supplier like Shimano.

So my guess is that Shimano will be on the heavy side of things with a wider rim, and it may not be worth it for them, since most high end buyers want lighter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Im your size, same weight. Just had wheels built up. DT350 hubs and Belgium plus rims 28 hole f&r. Saved about a pound in the wheeler over my stock Giant wheels. Very happy with the results.

changingleaf
    To gain some benefit over your existing wheels you probably want to find a wheelset that's lighter, with rims that are a little wider and possibly more aerodynamic. Of course you also don't want to sacrifice durability. Check the weight and inner rim width of your current rims and compare these specs to other wheels you're looking at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12