RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

Anyone know where I can get replacment parts for an old Mavic Cosmos wheel?

My old Cosmos wheels need to be serviced. It appears that I need a new freehub body. The wheels work fine, just got a little play. I got them on my 2001 Iron Horse Victory. This has been a great bike. Just used it on wknds when I wasn't mountain biking, so it was lightly used. The freehub has a little play and I just want to replace the spings and pawls (if nec) since the wheels are so old.

I found that the freehub can be M40319 (Shimano) or M40323 (Campy). But I can't find those anywhere on the web. Will a local bike shop be able to order the parts or are they just discontinued? Also, does anyone know of alternate parts that will work? Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by shwndh View Post
    My old Cosmos wheels need to be serviced. It appears that I need a new freehub body. The wheels work fine, just got a little play. I got them on my 2001 Iron Horse Victory. This has been a great bike. Just used it on wknds when I wasn't mountain biking, so it was lightly used. The freehub has a little play and I just want to replace the spings and pawls (if nec) since the wheels are so old.

I found that the freehub can be M40319 (Shimano) or M40323 (Campy). But I can't find those anywhere on the web. Will a local bike shop be able to order the parts or are they just discontinued? Also, does anyone know of alternate parts that will work? Please let me know.
    They do not exist. And no, there aren't any alternate parts. Your only hopes are that a) some dealer somewhere still has one or b) that you can send the wheel to Mavic and they'll put a new (updated) hub in it.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    They do not exist. And no, there aren't any alternate parts. Your only hopes are that a) some dealer somewhere still has one or b) that you can send the wheel to Mavic and they'll put a new (updated) hub in it.
    And that's how it goes with a proprietary wheel. I guess I can try to replace that plastic part in the freehub body instead. Or just find another 28 spoke mavic hub and just lace it to that. I really need to start building my own wheels. Next set will be standard Ultegra or 105 hubs. Mavic pisses me off.