Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by coachboyd View Post
    No. . .they are not the only company using EPS foam for the molding technique.
    We used it *way* back in 2013, but moved away from it to a different system.

Even notorious open mold direct from China companies like Dengfu and ICAN are doing EPS foam core.
    This is directly from them:

As the sole rim manufacturer implementing this cutting edge technique within our manufacturing process, combined with our aerospace-grade Toray carbon fiber, used in Boeing’s 777 aircraft and many others; Knight Wheels can offer a lighter weight, stronger, more reliable and precisely constructed rim.
    We're talking only rims here, not frames, but I'm sure you know that.

I obviously don't know about all brands, just what they claim.

Can I ask why you moved away from it? Did you move to a traditional air bladder and plug system?
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Corima uses it. I've built a bunch of those.

I know that Alto uses it currently with their Taiwan (I guess - maybe China? I'm not sure), and there are plenty of others in China/Taiwan doing it.

Boyd probably gets as many of these as we do, but every morning I get emails from Chinese vendors/trading companies/producers/whatever they actually are that invariably start off "glad to know you are in the market for Chinese carbon rims." Every. Time.

Anyhow, about half of them sell wheels with foam core.

It's not unique to Knight.
    November Bicycles
    www.novemberbicycles.com

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Corima uses it. I've built a bunch of those.

I know that Alto uses it currently with their Taiwan (I guess - maybe China? I'm not sure), and there are plenty of others in China/Taiwan doing it.

Boyd probably gets as many of these as we do, but every morning I get emails from Chinese vendors/trading companies/producers/whatever they actually are that invariably start off "glad to know you are in the market for Chinese carbon rims." Every. Time.

Anyhow, about half of them sell wheels with foam core.

It's not unique to Knight.
    Is a foam core and EPS molding the same thing? I'm under the impression that it's not. The foam core inside of Lightweight wheels look nothing like EPS to me.

And why make such a claim if it's not even close to true? Guess I'll have to ask them.
    use a torque wrench

Boyd Cycling owner
    Yes, it's an EPS foam core mold. . .and it's very widely used. It's not the foam filled rims like are found on some Corima and Mavic wheels, that is completely different.

We moved away as there was troubles with drifting rim beds. Let's just say that when you have a 2.7mm nipple bed, but it happens to shift 20 degrees from center that could cause problems with nipples pulling through. "Fortunately" for us, that was something we could immediately see at even 60KgF so the amount of rims we caught with this problem was almost every single one.

There was also not enough compaction with the expanding foam core. Moved to an inflated bladder system with washout but with a few unique properties to get really high PSI and good compaction. . .and no bladder drift as the resins begin to soften in the mold. It's obviously the technology the manufacturer developed so I'm not going to boast and say "we are the only ones using this awesome technology", but I recognized the benefits when choosing this manufacturer.
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12