RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Bad Tire or Faulty Install?

I got a flat on a new Mich Pro 4 SC. Maybe 35 miles on it. I quickly changed out the inner tube, checked that the tire was seated properly and I am back on my way. I did use a CO2 Cartridge. Not even two miles later the inner tube is sticking out the side of the side wall.

So did I miss something on my installation or is this a faulty tire? Bad Tire or Faulty Install?-tire.jpg

One other thing, I am on HED B+ rims. I can get the Mich Pro 4 SC on without a tire lever. I can't seem to get them off without a lever. Is there a trick I am missing?
    Thanks for the help.

P.P.
    Yes those are cool super hero Pajamas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did you use a (steel) tire iron to get the tire off?
    Too old to ride plastic

grizzly moderator
    Tire is done.

If you can fit the tire without levers you should be able to take it off with just thumb power. Grab the rim with both hands, place your thumbs close together and push the tire off the rim.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Did you use a (steel) tire iron to get the tire off?
    1 plastic tire iron is all that I need for this tire / rim combo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    Tire is done.

If you can fit the tire without levers you should be able to take it off with just thumb power. Grab the rim with both hands, place your thumbs close together and push the tire off the rim.
    Yeah, the tire went directly into the trash when I got home.

When you say push the tire tire off the rim, the tire is going to go off the back/far side of the rim? Do you push on the side opposite the valve?

thanks for the help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cnardone View Post
    When you say push the tire tire off the rim, the tire is going to go off the back/far side of the rim? Do you push on the side opposite the valve?
    The first thing you have to do is make sure the bead of the tire is centered in the rim - push it toward the center of the rim all the way around. From there, you should be able to use thumb power to lift the bead up onto the top of the rim sidewall and then push it over the top.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. You may have f'd up the install but I'm thinking that's a bad tire for sure.
    I don't think I could do that to a tire if I tried without a knife. I definitely had my share of ham fisted installs and blew a few off the rim when I was a beginner and I've never had that happen.

a real member's member
    Do you push on the side opposite the valve?
    always start opposite the valve when dismounting.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

grizzly moderator
    Yeah, the tire went directly into the trash when I got home.

thanks for the help.
    You want to start further away from the valve than closer; not necessarily right on the opposite end. Push with your thumbs and lift the tire-tube off and over the rim. Keep pushing until the bead furthest away from you is over the rim then peel the tire off.
    After you do it a few times it will become a mindless exercise.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I got a flat on a new Mich Pro 4 SC. Maybe 35 miles on it. I quickly changed out the inner tube, checked that the tire was seated properly and I am back on my way. I did use a CO2 Cartridge. Not even two miles later the inner tube is sticking out the side of the side wall.

So did I miss something on my installation or is this a faulty tire? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	318692

One other thing, I am on HED B+ rims. I can get the Mich Pro 4 SC on without a tire lever. I can't seem to get them off without a lever. Is there a trick I am missing?
    Thanks for the help.

P.P.
    Yes those are cool super hero Pajamas.
    Probably installation error.

However, I would also check the alignment of brake pads vs rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I had a Michelin do that to me, installed by hand. I was riding and noticed something that looked like liquid asphalt stuck to my tire. I started to slow down to remove it and was just about stopped when there was a pop. It was not asphalt stuck to my tire by my tube sticking out. Never had that problem before and will never use Michelin again.