Endorphin Junkie
    Feb 2004

Bearing Source for American Classic Hubs

Has anyone purchased a bearing kit from Boca Bearings for an American Classic Hub? From the AC website, I see I need four 6803 C3 bearings for my rear hub. The only 6803 C3 kits Boca has are $75 for ceramic hybrids. AC says you can get a front and rear ceramic bearing upgrade kit (two front, four rear) for $300. Even accounting for the two fewer bearings in the Boca kit, that's a big price difference. Is Boca reputable or is AC just really expensive? Any source for stainless 6803 C3's cheaper? I don't really need ceramic bearings (no piece of equipment short of a motor will make me any faster). I pretty much exhaused Google. There are plenty of 6803 Max, Enduro, 2RS, unsealed, ABEC 3 and other flavors around, but no C3's.
    I can call these two outfits on Monday, but is there anywhere else I should look?

Kathy
    "Riding the wheel, our powers are revealed to us..." Maria Ward, Bicycling for Ladies, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Take the bearing to an industrial bearing supply house. They should be able to fix you up with some good quality (maybe not ceramic) replacements for a few dollars apiece.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Has anyone purchased a bearing kit from Boca Bearings for an American Classic Hub? From the AC website, I see I need four 6803 C3 bearings for my rear hub. The only 6803 C3 kits Boca has are $75 for ceramic hybrids. AC says you can get a front and rear ceramic bearing upgrade kit (two front, four rear) for $300. Even accounting for the two fewer bearings in the Boca kit, that's a big price difference. Is Boca reputable or is AC just really expensive? Any source for stainless 6803 C3's cheaper? I don't really need ceramic bearings (no piece of equipment short of a motor will make me any faster). I pretty much exhaused Google. There are plenty of 6803 Max, Enduro, 2RS, unsealed, ABEC 3 and other flavors around, but no C3's.
    I can call these two outfits on Monday, but is there anywhere else I should look?

Kathy
    BTI
    Bicycle Technologies International
    Most LBS can by from BTI

This might not help you but for those with older AC hubs they have the older 15x26x7 size that was impossible to find.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I don't have experience with cycling bearings from Boca Bearings, but my son and I used to race R/C cars and bought all our bearings from Boca. We went through them pretty quickly, because racing puts a lot of stress on the small bearings used in Electric and Gas cars. They are very reputable, helpful if you call them on the phone (toll free, I think), and last time I ordered from them, shipping was free. Just tell them the sizes you need and if they have them as a "kit" they will be cheaper than by the piece, at least that's how they priced R/C car bearing sets.
    I have several sets of AC wheels and when I get ready to upgrade to Ceramics, Boca Bearings is who I will call.