RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

the best book wheelbuilder

what the best book wheelbuilding?
    the art of wheelbuilding, the bicycle wheel?
    which is your favorite book the wheels ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Jobst Brandt's book, The Bicycle Wheel. The first half explores the forces acting on a wheel from an engineering perspective, but it's not too dry-mostly from a practical perspective.

Understand the mechanics of a wheel's strength will help you build stronger wheels.

The second half is all about lacing and truing wheels. Very easy to follow.

There are even chapters devoted to how to calculate spoke lengths.

Another bonus is, I have it in hardcover, so it's a quality, lifetime reference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    +1 on this

I read it recently and it was pretty good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Good to see some positive feedback on Roger Musson's book. I've been thinking about purchasing it and am heartened to read that it's getting good reviews.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    There's no contest here IMO. Roger Musson's wheelbuilding e-book is the best. I own most of the books and articles on the market and I've read what I don't own. Wheelbuilding is my passion and Roger's book is the best. And here's something no other book can do - all future updates are FREE. Beat that with a paper book. Roger's on the sixth edition. Have it printed and spiral-bound at your local stationary store.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by mike t. View Post
    there's no contest here imo. Roger musson's wheelbuilding e-book is the best. I own most of the books and articles on the market and i've read what i don't own. Wheelbuilding is my passion and roger's book is the best. And here's something no other book can do - all future updates are free. Beat that with a paper book. Roger's on the sixth edition. Have it printed and spiral-bound at your local stationary store.
    this^^^^^ +1000
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I agree with Mike T. I built my first wheelset recently using Roger Musson's e book and Mike T's website as a guide. Roger's book is well written, easy to follow and understand, and takes any fear about wheelbuilding away.

Bog
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Roger Musson's book "Professional Guide to Wheel Building" is what I started with and his explanations for lacing and tensioning are probably easiest to follow for a newbie wheel builder (me!).

However, Gerd Schraner's "The Art of Wheel Building" and Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" are also interesting reading and filled in a few gaps from Roger Musson's book. It's also interesting to see the different ways of doing things which can also broaden your knowledge base if you are interested.

One thing I don't particularly agree with in Roger Musson's book though is his advice on not needing a tensiometer. I struggled with getting tensions correct using the plucking method until I bought a Park TM-1. I appreciate though that others might have a different opinion on this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

the best book wheelbuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Bog View Post
    Roger Musson's book "Professional Guide to Wheel Building" is what I started with and his explanations for lacing and tensioning are probably easiest to follow for a newbie wheel builder (me!).

However, Gerd Schraner's "The Art of Wheel Building" and Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" are also interesting reading and filled in a few gaps from Roger Musson's book. It's also interesting to see the different ways of doing things which can also broaden your knowledge base if you are interested.

One thing I don't particularly agree with in Roger Musson's book though is his advice on not needing a tensiometer. I struggled with getting tensions correct using the plucking method until I bought a Park TM-1. I appreciate though that others might have a different opinion on this.

+1

I've just built up my first wheelset and read all three of these books before the build and ended up following Musson.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Does anyone have experience with the Master Wheel building video?

Amazon.com: Master Wheelbuilding: Bill Mould, LLC Flat Tire Films: Movies & TV