RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Best values in DIY wheel builds

Hello, all, I have built a few wheels, and I am looking to get another set at sometime, as it is fun to build them, and also seems to yield more value.

I am 6', 185-190lbs, and I am riding a 2014 SS EVO with very tight tolerances/clearance. My Pacenti SL23 V2 with the 20.3inner width yields a 27mm width from a 23c Continental 4000s so it is too tight in the back.

I have had great experiences with BHS, and Brandon has been very professional and helpful. The best looking wheel kit out there seems to be the one from BDOP, that is the Kinlin XR31T 24/28 with the asymmetric rear for $319 plus free shipping and no tax.

BHS now has a 16/24 kit with CX Sprint spokes(thicker, stiffer), and an asymmetric rear for $299 plus tax and free shipping.

He also has a 16/24 build with CX rays and a 16:8 rear rim for $349.

Finally, he has another xr31T build with 24/28, cx-rays for $379, but not an asymmetrical rear rim.

As I understand it, this rim is quite strong. Because of a lack of rear clearance, I want to have good NDS tension so there isn't any chance of spokes going slack or a side to side movement. The BDOP kit seems to be the best deal, but I would prefer to buy from Brandon, but I also don't want to pay nearly $100 for the same kit.

Would the 16/8 triplet lacing on one of the BHS kits be good for strength and NDS tension? Or would the 24 Asymmetric rim be best?

Any thoughts would be nice.

Thanks!

Forever a Student
    I understand your desire to deal with Brandon, but in your shoes I'd go with BDOP. I have extensive dealings with them with zero issues or unresolved problems. I know they're not local but they're rock solid.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I don't have any experience with the BHS triplet laced kits, but I have built several of the WI / 31T kits for friends and all have been pleased with the results. All have been 24/28. Brandon's kits have everything you need, except rim tape.
    Last edited by cdhbrad; 1 Week Ago at 04:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it were me, I would go with either of the 24/28 spoke count sets. The best way to prevent side to side wheel flex is with MORE SPOKES. I understand your concern about lower NDS spoke tensions, but asymmetric rims have their own problems. I believe it may have been November Dave that said asymmetric rims are more prone to spoke hole cracks. Dave, if you see this, could you confirm.

To put spoke tensions in perspective, a good rim should be able to handle 130kgF on the DS. Laced a conventional 2x or 3x and an 11-speed freehub, that will give you 55kgF on the NDS which is plenty adequate for a strong, stiff wheel.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Agreed, I weigh about the same as the OP and the last sets of wheels I built were 24/28. Riding style can make a difference and I have wheelsets that are 20/24 that I still use regularly. That said, today I always would opt for the extra 8 spokes if building now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ..... I understand your concern about lower NDS spoke tensions, but asymmetric rims have their own problems. ....
    The easiest way to alleviate this is a simple semi-radial spoking; this way, despite having lower tension, the NDS spokes will NEVER go slack.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    but asymmetric rims have their own problems. I believe it may have been November Dave that said asymmetric rims are more prone to spoke hole cracks
    I cannot believe that he would make such a generalization. It does not make sense either.

Campy Neutrons have been around for ever with a very asymmetric rear rim and no problems. I've got high mileage on 2 sets. And I'm in the 200# range.

I've built with the Kinlin asymmetric also with no problems.

To me asymetric rims make logical sense .

I'd agree with everyone above that 24/28 is your best choice. For myself I build radial front and 2X both sides rear.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Radial front and 2x both sides on the rear is how BHS specs it's kits. I like 2x on both front and rear, mainly because I like the 2x look.....when the wheels spin, looks don't matter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I cannot believe that he would make such a generalization. It does not make sense either.

Campy Neutrons have been around for ever with a very asymmetric rear rim and no problems. I've got high mileage on 2 sets. And I'm in the 200# range.

I've built with the Kinlin asymmetric also with no problems.

To me asymetric rims make logical sense .

I'd agree with everyone above that 24/28 is your best choice. For myself I build radial front and 2X both sides rear.
    It may not have been November Dave. It was definitely a reputable wheel builder who posts from time to time. If they see this thread, maybe they could elaborate.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    but asymmetric rims have their own problems. I believe it may have been November Dave that said asymmetric rims are more prone to spoke hole cracks.
    If he said that, he was relating to his own experience rather than something inherent in the design of an asymmetric rim. When the Velocity Aerohead OC rim first came out, it was too light, the walls were too thin, and there were issues. As their extrusion dies wore and the walls got thicker (rim weight went up about 30 gm.) the problem went away. I'm riding Velocity A23 OC rear rim right now with nearly 30K miles on it - no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    If he said that, he was relating to his own experience rather than something inherent in the design of an asymmetric rim.
    Possibly. Understood.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the advice so far. Looks like there is lots of info out there. I suppose I could also rebuild my Pacenti wheels as well, but I am not sure if it is better to try and sell them and then start fresh.