Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jack of no trades

Best Wheelset for under $1000?

I'm sure this question has been posed a million times, but I thought I'd ask again.

I'm looking for 700c clinchers for my CAAD9.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We need way more info. Your weight, riding approach, terrain, what you are trying to optimize, etc.

I see that budget and I think "I can buy 3 sets of parts to build sub 1500g wheelsets with that".

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    We need way more info. Your weight, riding approach, terrain, what you are trying to optimize, etc.

I see that budget and I think "I can buy 3 sets of parts to build sub 1500g wheelsets with that".
    155lbs, long and fast over undulating (and rough) roadways.

And I keep hearing about hand-built wheels. But who can I trust? The local bike shops can't even put my handlebars on straight, so I don't trust them to build a quality wheel for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trust yourself then. The cost of entry really isn't very steep, especially if you get creative around tools and work stands. And with a minimal investment and some time reading and some patience, you'll be riding your own wheels in no time.

For your budget I can build 3 sets of Velocity A23 rims laced with standard double butted spokes to BikeHubStore's various hub offerings. You could probably even go spendier with the spokes and save a few more grams. In a 24/28 configuration, you'd be somewhere in the 1500g range. The parts of that build will cost you $300.

Want to go even fancier, get a set of Stan's NoTubes Alpha 340 rims and shave some weight. Even with those rims you are looking at $500 in parts.

By all means, you can go drop a K on some factory pre-builts, but ask yourself what you are really gaining by doing that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Custom all the way. Valleycyclist who's active here has a SWEET looking set of HED 2 w/ Alchemy hubs.
    I got some from Psimet, who's active on the other forums. I went with Kinlin rims and White Industry hubs (made in the USA).
    For $1,000 you could even look at Carbon.
    Also check out Boyd, Williams, Soul, the guy in Texas (blanking on name), November.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Of course, I inappropriately left Zen off my list.

Online Wheel Builder
    I like unionmades suggestion of the Whites and Kinlins. Overall, this is a pretty reasonably priced wheelset, and is well below your price cap which is always nice. Their XR270 is pretty versatile and for undulating terrain I think it's their best option.

Urb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    If you are looking for cheap aero Flo wheels have been making some waves for under $1000. Haven't tried them myself but read nothing but great reviews. Going to pick up a set for my backup.
    Last edited by Urb; 04-26-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    You get all the sleep you need when you are dead

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Great buying experience and service out of Boyd Vitesse...

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    155lbs, long and fast over undulating (and rough) roadways.
    And I keep hearing about hand-built wheels. But who can I trust? The local bike shops can't even put my handlebars on straight, so I don't trust them to build a quality wheel for me.
    Two suggestions given your criteria and comments -

BikeHubStore.com for XR 270 rims, CX-Ray spokes, 24/28 and your choice of their hubs and build them yourself. All you need is in my sig info and its links. Trust yourself. Anyone else, at LBSs, might be no better than you but just willing to take your money.

BWW Pure Race Superlight with "Podium" build (CX-Rays) for $550 -
    Road - Riders 220 or less - Pure Race SuperLight 700c - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Another vote for Boyd wheels.
    You can call them and ask them all the questions you might have. They run a great little business.
    I have personally met them both and they are just great people.
    2014 Cannondale Synapse HM Matte Black
    2014 Shimano PD-9000 Pedals
    2012 Shimano7970 Di2
    2014 Boyd Carbon Clinchers
    Second set of wheels: 2014Boyd Altamont

SQUIRREL!!!!
    +1 on DIY

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Spend the $14 and read.....No, you won't be doing it for a living or making millions but you'll have enough info to build yourself a couple of nice wheelsets at $1000 and the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

If you aren't a DIY type, then ya....hit up Valley, Zen or any of the other uber-talented wheelbuilders here and see what they can come of with for you. They're damned good at what they do and your budget gives you tons of options.
    I honestly think it's possible for people to catch 'Stupid'.

Seems the only bi-partisan thing politicians can ever do is cheat on their wives.

"A slick way to outfigure a person is to get him figuring you figure he's figuring you're figuring he'll figure you aren't really figuring what you want him to figure you figure." - Whitey Herzog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano Dura-Ace C24 is the best wheelset under $1k....

banned
    Apr 2008

I'll bite. ..

The Campagnolo Shamal Ultras can be had from Ribbleuk for about $870.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm currently riding Campagnolo Neutron Ultras and I like them very much. I also have a set of Torelli Ultra Lite's and they are a very nice option at $650.00. Under 1400 grams and roll great. Just stiff enough. They will work for your weight.

I'm starting to get interested in building a set myself. Love the idea of that accomplishment. Mike T knows his stuff and has some great information of the subject within his signature.

As stated, there are some very well respected builders available that frequent our forums and I have always read great things about all of them.

You have infinite choices. Good luck with your quest
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campy Chorus 11.
    2013 BH Ultra Light. Campy Super Record 11.
    2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL. Ultegra electric 10.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I'm sure this question has been posed a million times, but I thought I'd ask again.

I'm looking for 700c clinchers for my CAAD9.
    Powertap. The power meter in the rear hub will help you follow a training plan that makes you faster.

There's also a lot going for your favorite major-brand (Campagnolo or Shimano) cup-and-cone hub laced to your choice of common rim. Both big companies coin the spoke holes and use good bearings so they're durable and last pretty much indefinitely. With the commodity rim you can be back on the road tomorrow for $40-$80 after you wear out a brake track or bend a rim in a crash.

Jack of no trades
    So I didn't seek out a nice hand built set of wheels, but I did find a rather good deal on the Shimano WH-RS80-C24-CL set -- Just about $600 shipped at JensonUSA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I didn't seek out a nice hand built set of wheels, but I did find a rather good deal on the Shimano WH-RS80-C24-CL set -- Just about $600 shipped at JensonUSA.
    You cannot go wrong with this wheel for $600 new. Hand built wheels are great, but so are these. The hand built can be made exactly to your specifications regarding weight, rim depth, even color, but at 155 you don't need anything special. At this point, pick the option you feel most comfortable with, but no reason not to like the RS80, and no reason not to trust Jenson. They have done right by me on multiple occasions in the past.

banned
    Apr 2008

Interesting. .

Quote Originally Posted by kylefoo View Post
    about 50mm clincher can be 1323g/set +/-50g with novatec hub, shimano.
    whose rims is only 420g/pc.
    1323g. Why not 1320? Interesting significant figure. J/K.
    Last edited by QQUIKM3; 05-14-2012 at 08:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Mike T - I tried to send you a PM but do more reading than posting and not up to 10 yet... 9 to go. Interested in your comment about building your own.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by CumbiaSTL View Post
    Mike T - I tried to send you a PM but do more reading than posting and not up to 10 yet... 9 to go. Interested in your comment about building your own.
    Cool. E-mail me at t(dot)mike56(at)rocketmail(dot)com if you like. I'd be glad to talk to ya.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    emailed ... thanks ... to cold to ride this am

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by unionmade View Post
    Custom all the way. Valleycyclist who's active here has a SWEET looking set of HED 2 w/ Alchemy hubs.
    +1 on HED C2/Alchemy Hubs.

I bought a set from ValleyCyclist...he's just 2 miles from me. Great wheels.

I've owned Enve SES3.4 Clinchers, and also own Mavic R-SYS SLR wheels, and I actually prefer the ride quality of the HED C2. They have a reasonable weight of just under 1400 grams (and with the new, lighter Alchemy ORC hub coming in the next few months will weigh even less).

The Alchemy hubs roll exceptionally smoothly.

I consider this wheelset a no-brainer for ~$1000.

I will also add that you probably can't go wrong with a set of factory Shimano wheels...either the Ultegra or Dura Ace models (personally, I wouldn't choose hand built in this case...factory is just too good). Just make sure you pick the correct hubs...whether 10s or 11s depending on your present needs for 10s or plans to upgrade to 11s.
    Last edited by tvad; 12-30-2012 at 08:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Not meaning to jack this thread but a local guy is selling this wheelset and I'm interested. Can you experienced guys offer up your thoughts on this for my 210lbs in a somewhat hilly environment. Tarmac SL3

Rims - Kinlin XR-19 with eyelets - 20mm wide, 21mm high - 401 grams per rim. Hubs - BHS 6 pawl Hubs (Bitex - same as BOYD) Very lightweight with super smooth Enduro bearings. Fast engagement. Shimano
    Spokes - Sapim Lasers 24/28 with brass nipples.

Wheels have approx. 200 miles on them and he's asking $350.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by SprinterX View Post
    Not meaning to jack this thread but a local guy is selling this wheelset and I'm interested. Can you experienced guys offer up your thoughts on this for my 210lbs in a somewhat hilly environment. Tarmac SL3

Rims - Kinlin XR-19 with eyelets - 20mm wide, 21mm high - 401 grams per rim. Hubs - BHS 6 pawl Hubs (Bitex - same as BOYD) Very lightweight with super smooth Enduro bearings. Fast engagement. Shimano
    Spokes - Sapim Lasers 24/28 with brass nipples.

Wheels have approx. 200 miles on them and he's asking $350.
    IMO that rim is much too light for you even though it has a sensible number of spokes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast