RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Best ~$200 wheelset

Long story short, I crashed 2 weeks back, breaking a spoke and bending another 4 drive side spokes on my rear Fulcrum 5 LG wheel. LBS said due to the damage and cost of replacement Fulcrum spokes (due to even tensioning with existing spokes), it wasn't worth fixing for the $$. I might buy some normal spokes, true the wheel and keep it as a trainer wheel.

Anyways, I'm in search of new wheels - hopefully with something that has more common spokes available if it ever happens again.

What I'm looking for - a good training wheelset that is OK enough to do a few triathlon races on. Maybe some day I'll get 50 or 80mm deep rims, but in the mean time, biking more will make me faster than deep rims.

I'm 150LBS and ride in CO. Three that have caught my eye thus far:

Vuelta Corsa Pro II
    (https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...t-vl-cpii-base)

Prime Race Road Wheelset
    (wiggle.com | Prime Race Road Wheelset | Road Race Wheels)

Campagnolo Khamsin Asymmetric Wheelset
    (wiggle.com | Campagnolo Khamsin Asymmetric Wheelset | Road Race Wheels)

RoadBikeReview Member
    You may also want to look at some of Shimano's new budget offerings:

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ne...-wheels-51844/

And these Ultegra level wheels, while a bit higher than your stated budget, are still a great bang for the buck:

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...elset-tubeless
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Campy makes nice wheels. I usually go the custom route, but that's out of your price range. A couple years ago, I was refurbishing an old Colnago and I decided to get a set of Campy Neutrons for it. I figured if Magnus Backstedt won Paris-Roubaix on them, they must be able to take some punishment. I've been pleased with them. They have an unusual design where the spokes thread straight through the hub an into the rim. There's no "J" bend at the hub. Looks like the Khamsin wheels are built the same way from the description on the Wiggle site.

I bought them at a UK internet place (Ribble). There was no duty, but the shipping costs were more because its an over sized package, so factor that into your decision making.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    A couple years ago, I was refurbishing an old Colnago and I decided to get a set of Campy Neutrons for it. I figured if Magnus Backstedt won Paris-Roubaix on them, they must be able to take some punishment.
    How do you come to that conclusion? Those wheels only had to last him that one race. I'm not saying these aren't good wheels, but saying they must be durable because one race was won on them is misleading at best.
    Last edited by Lombard; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:53 AM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    How do you come to that conclusion? Those wheels only had to last him that one race. I'm not saying these aren't good wheels, but saying they must be durable because one race was won on them is misleading at best.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Also, just because it has a brand name on them, it was likely (nearly certainly) a custom hand-built wheel, often not the same as the production wheel with the same name.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I added the thing about Magnus Bachstedt in there as kind of a joke. He was probably the largest pro racer ever, and Paris-Roubaix has to be the most punishing race that exists (although I expect to soon get corrected on that statement too). Were they off the shelf Neutrons? Who knows. You guys need to quit taking everything so seriously. Did you have unfortunate childhoods?

What motivated me beside the price and them being Campagnolo were the 120 mostly five star reviews on Wiggle (wiggle.com | Campagnolo Neutron Ultra Clincher Road Bike Wheelset | Road Race Wheels). One drawback -- as with most factory wheels -- are that the spokes aren't easily replaced. Break a Sapim spoke on the custom wheels I use and its a couple bucks to replace. Break a spoke on the Neutrons and its $50 for a 'spoke replacement kit' consisting of a DS and NDS (rear) spoke -- and you likely only need one of them. So far, the wheels have been perfect. I rode a set of Ksyriums for years and years and only broke a spoke once, and it was my fault (taking off fast from a track stand).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I added the thing about Magnus Bachstedt in there as kind of a joke. He was probably the largest pro racer ever, and Paris-Roubaix has to be the most punishing race that exists (although I expect to soon get corrected on that statement too). Were they off the shelf Neutrons? Who knows. You guys need to quit taking everything so seriously. Did you have unfortunate childhoods?
    No, you just need to be a little less unfunny.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    At least you don't disappoint. So much knowledge dispensed in so few years. Maybe it would be more humorous if the race I referred to took place more recently. I expect you were two at the time. Have a good weekend, Dumbard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At least you don't disappoint. So much knowledge dispensed in so few years. Maybe it would be more humorous if the race I referred to took place more recently. I expect you were two at the time. Have a good weekend, Dumbard.
    Oh my! Now we are resorting to insults? SMH. Should I call in Coolhand? Nah! I actually feel a little sorry for you that you would fee the need to lower yourself to this level. SMH again. Do you need a hug?

BTW, I was not two at the time of that race. But thank you for taking 41 years off my age. You made my day!
    Last edited by Lombard; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:54 AM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    No, just a more appropriate handle you might consider in light of the advice you hand out around here.

To get back to the original question -- why are Shimano wheels good? Do you own any? Have any experiences with them? Are their spokes proprietary? Do you have anything of value to add here? Should he go to a fitter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, just a more appropriate handle you might consider in light of the advice you hand out around here.

To get back to the original question -- why are Shimano wheels good? Do you own any? Have any experiences with them? Are their spokes proprietary? Do you have anything of value to add here? Should he go to a fitter?
    You really are getting down and dirty, aren't you? Yes, I own quite a few Shimano wheels. Spoke are proprietary, but I've never heard of any breaking. Fitter? Where did that come from?

Yep, I think you could use a good hug. Or maybe one of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best ~0 wheelset-cookie.jpg  

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    So why can't you tell the guy you have experience with Shimano wheels? Which ones do you own? Quite a few is how many? From past posts I know you never pay more than $600 for a set of wheels, so that rules out the Dura Ace wheels. If you're so full of knowledge, please bless us all with it. 'Shimano wheels are good band for the buck' isn't much information. And take a random sample of your past posts and you'll get the fitter reference. Or maybe not.

Thanks, but I already had breakfast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    OP, I would stay away from vuelta. I had some years ago, their cheap factory made wheels. In a few thousand miles I was breaking spokes.

Try bicycle wheel warehouse. They make good durable road wheels

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    So why can't you tell the guy you have experience with Shimano wheels? Which ones do you own? Quite a few is how many? From past posts I know you never pay more than $600 for a set of wheels, so that rules out the Dura Ace wheels. If you're so full of knowledge, please bless us all with it. 'Shimano wheels are good band for the buck' isn't much information. And take a random sample of your past posts and you'll get the fitter reference. Or maybe not.

Thanks, but I already had breakfast.
    SMH again. I will offer more advice when the OP asks again. But I will say that of course I did not recommend Dura-Ace wheels as they are way above the OP's price range. Why would I recommend something the OP can't afford?

Let's go back the last time you tried to cover up your own bad advice and say it was "just a joke":

Overshoes vs winter boots

And that is the same thing you are doing here. You give very lame advice that a certain set of wheels must be good because "Magnus Backstedt won Paris-Roubaix on them, they must be able to take some punishment". How many miles is the Paris-Roubaix again? Now, how many miles should a good wheel set last? More than one race?

Oh, and now you are trashing my fit advice - which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread? There are plenty of others here on these forums and elsewhere who agree with me.

It is pretty obvious you are trying to cover your own embarrassment of your bad advice by saying "it was only a joke". Really now. Try again.
    Last edited by Lombard; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:37 AM.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not embarrassed by anything I said and I hope it helps the OP. You threw the first punch here. So get in the last word, because guys like you always have to have it, and let's move on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    OP, I would stay away from vuelta. I had some years ago, their cheap factory made wheels. In a few thousand miles I was breaking spokes.

Try bicycle wheel warehouse. They make good durable road wheels

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I'll Check out BWW to see what they have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not embarrassed by anything I said and I hope it helps the OP. You threw the first punch here. So get in the last word, because guys like you always have to have it, and let's move on.
    My intent was not to "throw out the first punch". It was merely to call out bad or misleading advice when I see it. And let it be said that I was not the one who threw out the first insult, you were.

But I agree, let's move on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    honestly if I only had 200 to spend on a wheelset, I'd consider looking to buy a "new" used one. Plenty of folks who buy "mid-high" end bikes that come with lower level (doesn't mean it's bad) stock wheelset that they want to get rid of either thru ebay or local craigslist.

Neophyte
    Agree w/aclinjury. You can find OEM takeoffs that are great quality but sellers can't get a ton of money for them because of the branding (example, Syncros branded wheels that come off Scott bikes are actually pretty good DT Swiss wheels). These are getting harder to find in rim brake varieties though since manufacturers are pushing disc brakes a lot more on new bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    While I don't agree with the insults, I do agree with pmf about Magnus Backstedt riding these in the Roubaix. He's a Clyde who can dish out 1900-2000 watts. That is insane! To win The Roubaix at over 200 lbs, he had to be dishing out some really big numbers. Most lightweight wheels would've failed in short time, likely during that race. that was over a decade ago. Bike wheel technology has made the current wheels even better than when he was racing on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    honestly if I only had 200 to spend on a wheelset, I'd consider looking to buy a "new" used one. Plenty of folks who buy "mid-high" end bikes that come with lower level (doesn't mean it's bad) stock wheelset that they want to get rid of either thru ebay or local craigslist.
    Agreed. I wouldn't waste money on a $200 wheelset. I would even have to think really hard about a $200 front wheel. Not worth the time and aggravation to buy cheap wheels.

Talk with riding buddies and guys who have raced for a while. Someone has a big pile of wheels their wife complains about. You may find a really good deal. I have given a couple wheelset away in my life. I am not the only one.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Wow, you really got him w/ that one. If someone got me like that I'd probably still be hiding under my bed.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Wow, you really got him w/ that one. If someone got me like that I'd probably still be hiding under my bed.
    Pffft.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I recently swapped Mavic Ksyrium Elites for the Prime Race. Rode them about 400km/week for about 6 weeks now (approx 2500Km).

Until now I'm very happy with them. They are very comfortable and surprisingly laterally stiff.

They are delivered with 4 replacement spokes. (standard DT Swiss spokes)