Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jno View Post
    I have read the reviews, recommendations and the comparisons between most upgrade wheels. I am not a serious rider for whom marginal gains matter a great deal, so i am at least as interested in the less desirable consequences. I am looking at modest depth (eg dura ace c40). Can anybody speak to extent of wind effects, durability, maintenance hassles or other?
    If this is the case, I really don't see a reason to buy deep section wheels. A good quality alloy wheel with a modest depth of 24-28mm will serve your needs the best. Anything else and you are wasting your $$$.

If it makes you feel good to buy something expensive to hang on your bike, so be it. But if you think a new set of wheels will allow you to pass your buddies going uphill that you couldn't catch before, you will be disappointed.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    So this is your study? Until there are more than just 2 third-party analysis that come to the same conclusion, you're just talking out of your a$$.

Prove me wrong and provide at least 3 independent studies that conclude the same as you then I'll believe you.
    How about you getting one of those front wheels with a good air-foil he is talking about an try it in a crosswind?

changingleaf
    The hubsBeyond the benefits, what other effect(s) of deeper wheels?-20170414_123728.jpg can affect the price considerably, but also contribute to a more reliable and enjoyable wheelset. Most carbon rims are very reliable. You will notice that braking power in the wet decreases considerably compared to alloy for any carbon rim. Also, many modern carbon rims are tubeless-ready which is nice, but it makes tires a little more difficult to take on and off. More expensive wheels have more expensive production, engineering, marketing and sometimes better customer service. The gains are sometimes marginal. 36mm Nox Carbon rims and DT 240 hubs may be in your price range.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    My 2nd post wasn’t clear and I don’t know how to delete it entirely but I am hoping to learn something about wheels in the tier below Zipp and Enve because I expect to make compromises at the C$ 2000-2500 price and want the compomises to be informed ones. Assuming all of the quantifiable variables are equal ( price, weight, rim depth around 35-40), is there a consensus that carbon is still preferable, or that carbon is to be avoided, and why? (I don’t ride in rain or descend mountains so braking conditions are generally optimal).
    There is no consensus that carbon is still preferable or is to be avoided. The best advise I can give you is to ask your riding buddies who use carbon wheels. Maybe ask to borrow a set, or, rent a set from an LBS if they offer rentals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Flywheel effect

I have read the reviews, recommendations and the comparisons between most upgrade wheels. I am not a serious rider for whom marginal gains matter a great deal, so i am at least as interested in the less desirable consequences. I am looking at modest depth (eg dura ace c40). Can anybody speak to extent of wind effects, durability, maintenance hassles or other?
    With more weight out on the rims, there is a flywheel effect. So it takes a bit more effort to get up to speed but can hold it better. Not a big deal on the flats but when I tested a $2,000 35 mm wheelset on rollers, it was very noticeable. Good going down but when going back up and losing momentum, it took more effort to regain speed, that is , a little longer to accelerate. Since my area has lots of hills of all kinds, I opted to not go w the deep rim wheels.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Just curious, what were the $2000 35 mm wheels you tested? What wheels did you compare them against?

Jno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016

Interesting post. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfarside View Post
    With more weight out on the rims, there is a flywheel effect. So it takes a bit more effort to get up to speed but can hold it better. Not a big deal on the flats but when I tested a $2,000 35 mm wheelset on rollers, it was very noticeable. Good going down but when going back up and losing momentum, it took more effort to regain speed, that is , a little longer to accelerate. Since my area has lots of hills of all kinds, I opted to not go w the deep rim wheels.
    You have touched on a concern I have - I too ride in hills and am not a cycling prodigy who can ignore possibility of “lost momentum” uphill in order to realize uncertain gains elsewhere. I had assumed that if weight of wheels was sub 1500, and if 35 mm rim depth, I’d avoid weight and wind effects penalties. Thanks for your impression to the contrary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    A good quality alloy wheel with a modest depth of 24-28mm will serve your needs the best. Anything else and you are wasting your $$$.
    ^^^^^Bingo!! We have a winner. Dead right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12