Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11

    Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Blackset Race or Vuelta Team V?

    I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my Felt Z5. It came stock with Mavic CXP22 and I want to upgrade to something lighter. My budget is under $500. For around $400 I can buy either the BWW Blackset Race 13 at their "Performance" level or Vuelta Team V. These will be used mainly for training and century/charity rides. Any compelling reasons why I should choose one over the other?

  2. #2
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,731
    Quote Originally Posted by naparider View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my Felt Z5. It came stock with Mavic CXP22 and I want to upgrade to something lighter. My budget is under $500. For around $400 I can buy either the BWW Blackset Race 13 at their "Performance" level or Vuelta Team V. These will be used mainly for training and century/charity rides. Any compelling reasons why I should choose one over the other?
    The Blackset Race are -

    Built in the USA.
    Make their weight with 24/28 spokes (versus 20/24) which will make for a stronger wheel if a spoke ever breaks. You don't say how heavy you are and 20/24 might not be enough for you.
    Ship for $1.
    Bite Guard on cassette carrier edges.
    Use normal j-bend spokes (Vuelta are straight-pull - harder to find).
    Regular price $349. Vuelta appear to be $500. For $50 more you could get the BWW BSR with CX-Ray spokes, saving about 80 grams in weight.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 04-23-2013 at 03:08 AM.
    .
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

    I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6
    naparider,
    I'll echo what Mike T. said. I replaced a set of DT Swiss 3.0 wheels with the Blackset Race 13 podium build 24/28 for less than $500 about a month ago. They are light, strong and IMO a great value.

    Rob

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks for the reply. I weigh about 160 so I don't think that will be an issue. I was leaning toward the Blackset Race until I saw the Vuelta's on ebay for $399. I'd rather buy directly from BWW but I thought if the Vuelta's were superior that I would go that direction. I've seen a lot of good feedback about the Blackset Race wheels so I'm most likely going to go with those.

  5. #5
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,731
    Quote Originally Posted by naparider View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I weigh about 160 so I don't think that will be an issue. I was leaning toward the Blackset Race until I saw the Vuelta's on ebay for $399. I'd rather buy directly from BWW but I thought if the Vuelta's were superior that I would go that direction. I've seen a lot of good feedback about the Blackset Race wheels so I'm most likely going to go with those.
    My BSR are starting their 4th year as my "summer" wheels and they haven't had a wrench to them yet. I'm 170-175 lbs. Mine have CX-Rays and are 1410g.
    .
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

    I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones726 View Post
    naparider,
    I'll echo what Mike T. said. I replaced a set of DT Swiss 3.0 wheels with the Blackset Race 13 podium build 24/28 for less than $500 about a month ago. They are light, strong and IMO a great value.

    Rob
    How were you able to get the podium for less than $500? Do they go on sale often? Looking at maybe picking up a set of BSR.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6
    I went back and looked at my receipt - it was actually $447. They had a sale in March. I think I got 25% off. I'm not sure how often they go on sale. I found out by perusing this board.
    Last edited by rjones726; 04-24-2013 at 04:41 AM.

  8. #8
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,731
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones726 View Post
    I went back and looked at my receipt - it was actually $559. They had a sale in March. I think I got 15 or 20% off. I'm not sure how often they go on sale. I found out by perusing this board.
    They had a Snow sale and a Spring sale I think - two different discount rates. I don't see it currently advertised even though Wisconsin wheel buyers could use a snow sale right now.
    .
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

    I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    157
    I've had the BWW Blackset Race for a year now, and if I were to do it again, I think I would get something different, maybe look for some Ultegra Wheels, or Velocity A23 wheelset. But that's just me.

    The BWW are light, and they spin well, but I have trouble with my front wheel staying in true. Plus, I want to try the wide rims.

    I don't know if it's the rims or my fork (Easton EC70), but the front of my bike just doesn't feel as planted and stable as I would like. It's probably the rider

Similar Threads

  1. Opinions - Vuelta Corsa lite vs Blackset Race
    By NateDieselF4i in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
  3. Bicycle Wheel Warehouse - Blackset Race
    By toshi in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 07:39 AM
  4. Bicycle Wheel Warehouse
    By LWP in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
  5. Bicycle wheel warehouse
    By JMKB2 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook