Adorable Furry Hombre

Bitex Hub: Freehub noise problem.

The hub in question is this guy, in 12x142 axle:

BITEX

Symptoms:

-The noise itself is a "clang" or "bang" sound, similar in overall sound and volume to this guy's noise at 2m:50s: https://youtu.be/sHZ1D5G3Sf0?t=2m46s
    -Noise is only audible when coasting
    -Noise isn't yet consistent or constant or easily reproduce-able on the stand...2 nights ago it was doing it for a good minute of coasting. Today it did it for a bout of about 10 seconds. Temp/humidity similar....
    -Noise is in sync with the wheel rotation "bang. bang. bang...."...both instances around 15-20MPH spindown.
    -I can feel something clanging through the frame

Any idea how eff'd this hub is? Simple tear-apart and clean/lube? Or is a new freehub in my future? Have a week long tour...in, well,10 calendar days...so this needs sorted out pronto. Hub has 5,500 miles (a calendar year, basically, maintenance free WRT the hub) on it thereabouts. Hasn't been abused much, at least not for a CX/gravel bike-no knee-deep water or sandstorms.

Seeing as how I cannot find documentation online for how to even take this hub apart...I'm tempted to let the guys at the LBS handle it, but since Bitex isn't a common LBS branding they'd probably benefit from some insight from some of our wheelbuilders who've torn these apart here.

TIA, folks.
    Last edited by Marc; 1 Week Ago at 06:42 PM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    They aren't particularly difficult to work on, a 'good' shop will have no problem. Get it to them ASAP if time is a concern, most shops are in-season right now and the more time you give them the better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Seeing as how I cannot find documentation online for how to even take this hub apart...
    Looks like this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I have a novatec hub that does the same thing sometimes when I start pedaling after coasting. I figure it’s a pawl that “hangs up” on a ratchet tooth and when enough pedaling force builds up, finally drops into engagement with a snap. Kind of annoying but not a functional disaster. As with anything, you get what you pay for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Easily taken apart. Look closely at the pawl/ratchets. Sounds like you have a pawl not getting locked in on edge of drive ring. More than likely a little light grease will take care of it.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Looks like this.
    [vide o=youtube;blZzf12udNA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZzf12udNA[/video]
    Thanks!. I'd read someone else having to "persuade" their ax;e out...but I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    Easily taken apart. Look closely at the pawl/ratchets. Sounds like you have a pawl not getting locked in on edge of drive ring. More than likely a little light grease will take care of it.

Light grease or oil? Have it apart...pawls are springy (1 not quite as much as its friends) and the ratchet look/feels good still, but it looks like the ring/pawls was only oiled originally-fair bit of grime on the ratchet to clean out...Or course, only being oiled originally explains why this hub has a rattlesnake freehub like Campy/Fulcrum wheels...
    Last edited by Marc; 1 Week Ago at 04:50 AM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've used the light Park Green grease (PPL1) with good luck
    Last edited by Enoch562; 1 Week Ago at 10:42 AM.