RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Blackset Race 11's ,good?

lookin at these ,seem to have good reviews on there site ,anyone here have them & like or dislike anything about them,Im lookin for 1500 gram set , quiet hub,it also looks like theyre slow shipping from what I read,opinions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I've ridden a set 4000+ miles and they have been faultless. Still true, easy to mount tires on them, and they stand up to punishment well. Mine weighed in at about 1485g.

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by springs View Post
    I've ridden a set 4000+ miles and they have been faultless. Still true, easy to mount tires on them, and they stand up to punishment well. Mine weighed in at about 1485g.
    How much do you weigh?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by vette View Post
    lookin at these ,seem to have good reviews on there site ,anyone here have them & like or dislike anything about them,Im lookin for 1500 gram set , quiet hub,it also looks like theyre slow shipping from what I read,opinions?
    They're one of the best deals out there. Mine are finishing their third year of use with zero issues (never had a spoke wrench to them). Mine are the older, lighter Blackset Race rim (new ones are a bit heavier with more sidewall meat) and weigh 1410 grams with CX-Rays and nipple washers. They have sensible spoke numbers too (24/28) so you don't have to wonder if you'll ever make it home if you break a spoke. I'm 172lbs.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Im 185 ,looks like a give them a try

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    How much do you weigh?
    132 lbs. Not a lot, but I ride my share of crummy roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I have a set with about 4500 miles on them. I don't abuse or baby them and they are still true, roll very smooth, no problems whatsoever. Plenty of spokes and under 1500 grams. Very happy with the wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I bought mine at the start of the season and have 2000 miles on them. No issues and quite the deal in my book. I mounted Gatorskin 25's which was easy to do. I ride mostly country roads in Maine so you tend to encounter the good with the bad as far as road upkeep goes.
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    105 Shifter/derailleurs
    FSA Gossamer Triple MegaExo
    BWW Blackset Race 11 wheels
    Continental Gators 25c
    Kool Stop Salmon brake pads
    Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD400DW
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    RADBOT-1000 rear strobe flasher
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    So I ordered a set, are they slow shippers?
    Last edited by vette; 10-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are these good for daily use / training?

Do you guys use them over a variety of surfaces?

Let us know what you think of them OP !
    2012 Cannondale Supersix 105

2013 Cannondale Badboy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Well just got my set,west to east coast was fast shipping considering monday was a holiday,got prorace 4's goin on but gotta run over the bike store for some rim tape ,anxious to try them out this weekend,didnt know they came with skewers ,the rear is a lil noisier than I normally like but Ill see how they are on the road,my new Merckx Lxm feels awesome with the heavier mavics on there & with this lighter set they should be awesome.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by vette View Post
    the rear is a lil noisier than I normally like.
    A tiny bit of grease on the ratchety parts will quieten them down lots.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How is the quality of BWW wheel builds? Will I have to check on or touch up spoke tension etc?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zampano View Post
    How is the quality of BWW wheel builds? Will I have to check on or touch up spoke tension etc?
    It's excellent. I know of 5-6 sets, dating back about 4 years and none have ever needed touching - I look after them all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zampano View Post
    Thanks!
    Lemme tell you a little anecdote story. About 5-6 years ago I needed a wheelset for my new cyclocross/dirt road bike and I wanted Open Pro rims with Ultegra hubs. I've built my own wheels for decades so I shopped around for the best mailorder parts prices. Then I stumbled onto BWW. Their OP/Ulteg wheelset was $60 cheaper than I could buy the parts for so I thought what the hell, I'll buy the BWW wheels and tension, true and stress relive them to *my* standards (see my link below). After all, how good could mailorder wheels be?

They arrived two weeks after owner Chris gave me a surprise phone call for my CC number. They were dead true and with lots of tension. I stress relieved them and there were no pings - meaning stress relief had been done. They stayed true. Fast forward a few years - they're still on my dirt road bike and still haven't been touched.