RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Blackset Race Ten Wheel Set 1451g

Anyone used these...or anything else ordered from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse? Other suggestions for good deals on entry level racing wheels?

THANKS!!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcycle10
    Anyone used these...or anything else ordered from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse?
    There's lots of history here on these wheels and this company. My BWW Race have been perfection and price for weight I'm not aware of a better deal.......and I've looked. Do a Search on this forum.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It's funny you posted this just as I was peeling the decals off of the set that just arrived yesterday. No road test yet, but FWIW:

Two weeks from order to door.
    Well packaged
    Includes skewers
    Free water bottle

I upgraded to Sapim for +$145

Front - 615g
    Rear - 805g
    Skewers - 104g / pair
    Tape - 14g each / uncut or installed
    Decals were about 1g each (x4/wheel), so knock 8-9g off total

Hubs spin smooth - no complaints

So, about +60g above advertised.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I just received the Pure Tours and have about 100 miles on them and they are wonderful. About 2 weeks from order to my door. I am very happy with them, they have a forum on their site if you want to ask the owners specific questions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the input. Do the wheels come already built? (Sorry if that's a stupid question, but by the way you had individual weights for the different componentsmade me wonder if you have to assemble them yourself).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Yes. The wheels come assembled. The skewers are not installed, nor is the rim tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I've ordered from BWW.

Great price for what I got (probably unbeatable) and I loved the wheels at first, actually still do, but I'm really disappointed with what I perceive as being crappy build quality. In summary they go out of true way more and easier than I deem to be an indicator of a quality build. They are 32 spokes and I weigh 155 and ride pretty decent roads so I don't feel it's at all a case of bad selection being the cause.
    I got what I paid for I guess. The price of the wheels wasn't much, if any, more than the cost of the parts so I paid for and received not much from the build aspect.

Still though, at the reduced price for what I got and even after having to have someone else fix them right I still consider it a pretty good purchase.

I probably got a lemon....I generally hear about people having better luck.
    Last edited by Hank Stamper; 10-08-2010 at 01:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Bought the 2009 Blackset SL set and they weighed 1320ish grams with Sapim CX Rays. I've ridden 700 miles since and they're still perfectly round and true. I've since moved on to some DV46's. Really good wheels for the money.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    I've ordered from BWW.
    Great price for what I got (probably unbeatable) and I loved the wheels at first, actually still do, but I'm really disappointed with what I perceive as being crappy build quality. In summary they go out of true way more and easier than I deem to be an indicator of a quality build. They are 32 spokes and I weigh 155 and ride pretty decent roads so I don't feel it's at all a case of bad selection being the cause.
    That's probably an individual finding. Six sets of their wheels have passed through my hands and all have been just fine.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Why not deal with a professional outfit?

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/cu...dbuilt-wheels/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    what do you think isnt professional about a business who does nothing but sell custom built wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Cheap generic parts