RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Blackset Race vs. SL

I see a lot of reviews on the Blackset Race (1421g) but nothing on the Blackset Race SL (1304g). Either set, I plan on getting Sapim CX Rays. I'm 150 lbs rider

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman143
    I see a lot of reviews on the Blackset Race (1421g) but nothing on the Blackset Race SL (1304g). Either set, I plan on getting Sapim CX Rays. I'm 150 lbs rider
    So which ones are you going to get? I have Race with the CX-Rays and weigh 165. I'm waiting for the good weather to try them for the first time.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I'm leaning towards the SL since I'm attracted to the weight but want to see if any folks are running them. How much did your set weigh with the CX Rays?

A wheelist
    I'm leaning towards the SL since I'm attracted to the weight but want to see if any folks are running them. How much did your set weigh with the CX Rays?
    My Blackset Race with the CX-Ray option are 1410g. The Race with Comp spokes are listed at 1421g (and BWW's weights have always been accurate for me) but my wheels have nipple washers. I recently asked BWW's Chris about this and his words were - "They help us stress relieve the wheel a little more effectively. It's kind of amazing how much easier it is to stress relieve the spokes with them. They act as a bearing more than anything".

Whether they do this with all their non-eyeleted rims or whether they can be ordered without the washers I don't know. I just trust their judgment. I'm sure they build more wheels in a week than I've ever built. 52 tiny washers won't affect my 100km ride times.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 02-17-2010 at 08:34 AM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I hope the weather lets up so you can ride them soon.

Doesn't seem like anyone's on the SL versions here...

A wheelist
    I hope the weather lets up so you can ride them soon.
    It's snowing and blowing here today so it won't be any time soon, I'm sad to say.

Doesn't seem like anyone's on the SL versions here...
    I haven't seen anyone post that they had them in the past 2 years that I've been aware of BWW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    it looks like they are discontinuing this set and coming out with a new SL in the next few weeks...hmmm....

RoadBikeReview Member
    it looks like they are discontinuing this set and coming out with a new SL in the next few weeks...hmmm....
    oh really...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    yes. new ones will have more aero rims and a better finish. i'll probably pull the trigger on the older ones bc i'm getting a fantastic deal with the CX rays.

A wheelist
    yes. new ones will have more aero rims and a better finish. i'll probably pull the trigger on the older ones bc i'm getting a fantastic deal with the CX rays.
    The current Blackset Race rims are a much better finish than the original Race rims and even much better than my Open Pro. I can't imagine how much better the new ones will be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    well i just pulled the trigger on the SL's. should be done in 2 weeks or so