RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 Clincher

Anyone here purchased and/or have experience with these wheels?

Do the wheels have a rider weight limit?

What is the width of the wheel, can't find any details on their web site.

Thanks...

zac
    Uhm they are okay, not great.

I think way overpriced compared to similar or better offerings.

I found the rear to be a bit too flexy for an aluminum rim and high tensioned spokes. I expected it to be like my Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL SSC's but it wasn't, not even close.

They are not exactly light, I don't recall the weight, but I would put them in the 1750-1850 gram range. Very similar to the Mavics.

I think the newer Mavic CC SL is a better wheelset, and available for less $$.

I doubt they have a weight limit, but since you are asking what is your weight?

Width? that is an unusual question, why? If you are concerned with what size tire, then you should be able to fit a 28 with no issues and perhaps a 35 even, but that size would be critical to what your frame could clear, and not so much the rim.

HTH
    zac

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    I'm 6'3" and weigh approx. 240lbs. I have an '09 Ridley Noah, and HED wheels are to wide for the rear chainstays, get wheel rub with Ardennes.

Rollin' Stones
    I'd pass on them. If you really like Hed wheels, have them built with the "Stallion" weight restriction raised.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

zac
    Quote Originally Posted by tyjacks
    I'm 6'3" and weigh approx. 240lbs. I have an '09 Ridley Noah, and HED wheels are to wide for the rear chainstays, get wheel rub with Ardennes.
    You're a big guy, while the wheel can handle you, you are going to flex those Aeolus into the stays too, as I said, the rear is pretty flexy.

You may want to be looking for some of the stiffer rear wheels for your Noah.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Would the EDGE 45's be a better choice? Although not as aero I've been looking at the Fulcrum 0's to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by zac
    Uhm they are okay, not great.

I think way overpriced compared to similar or better offerings.

I found the rear to be a bit too flexy for an aluminum rim and high tensioned spokes. I expected it to be like my Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL SSC's but it wasn't, not even close.

They are not exactly light, I don't recall the weight, but I would put them in the 1750-1850 gram range. Very similar to the Mavics.

I think the newer Mavic CC SL is a better wheelset, and available for less $$.

I doubt they have a weight limit, but since you are asking what is your weight?

Width? that is an unusual question, why? If you are concerned with what size tire, then you should be able to fit a 28 with no issues and perhaps a 35 even, but that size would be critical to what your frame could clear, and not so much the rim.

HTH
    zac
    I am assuming that the OP was refering to the all carbon version based on the Race XXX Lite clincher rim which is hen sent to HED to have the fairing attached. Only the 'ACC' version is based on an aluminum hoop.

zac
    Quote Originally Posted by ewitz
    I am assuming that the OP was refering to the all carbon version based on the Race XXX Lite clincher rim which is hen sent to HED to have the fairing attached. Only the 'ACC' version is based on an aluminum hoop.
    Could be I suppose. While I have absolutely nothing to back me up on this, I would expect the aluminum rim to be stiffer, similar to the Cosmic Carbone, but it just wasn't. I don't know how it stacks up against the all carbon version, as I have never ridden it.

Hopefully someone can help him out.

zac

zac
    Quote Originally Posted by tyjacks
    Would the EDGE 45's be a better choice? Although not as aero I've been looking at the Fulcrum 0's to.
    I'd love to rock a set of the Edge 45s. "Not as aero" as what? They are a great all purpose aero road wheel.

There are several custom builders on here who can stiffen those up to your desire I would imagine. Not exactly inexpensive at 800+ a hoop, but hey your buying...

zac

dno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I have the 5.0 clinchers (full carbon version, not alum version being discussed above). The 5.0 is a great wheel. Stiff, areo, and comfortable - a great combination. I rode a lot of wheels before deciding including reynolds DV UL's, Shimano etc. and chose the 5.0 as I like the combination listed above the best. I am 180ish lb, and an interesting observation for me was that as I got the lighter wheels, the overall speed actually went down as it is harder to keep them at speed versus a slighly heavier wheel, The slightly heavier wheel is also much better decending in the mountains, particularly with wind. Obviously, accelerated the lighter wheels feels snappier, but they also slow quickier.

I think this is due to the monentum of the wheel versus the effort to accelerate them. At my size I found the bonty's perfect, they still are light (mine are 1590gm), climb great, absolutely fly downhill or on the flats, and handle well in the wind. They also brake good with the bonty pads.

The one wheels I did not ride but also think would be good are the Mavic's, but I have had bad experiences with these and find the hubs of the bonty's (they are DT Swiss) great and far superior.