RoadBikeReview Member

bontrager aeolus d3 clincher vs tubular cx wrench?

hey all i have a chance to purchase a new set of bontys at a great price. i ride a powertap rear training wheel and have always raced on tubulars, i have no problems with the fitting of tubulars tyres. what im after is a pure performance comparison of the d3 clincher to tubby. the tubular is lighter the white paper states the clincher is more aero. i woule be looking at the 7 unless you can convince me otherwise. im a 77kg tt loving sprint hating road racer. a grade over here, cat 1/2 i guess. i can climb enough to get me through most races but i just attempt to break away in a small group or solo. cx wrench what is your opinion?
    Not F Schleck. The last 24k is downhill, and he descends like a drunken cat. Quote: justinb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    The tubs are designed completely different from the clinchers. I have had a couple of clinchers last years and several sets of tubulars. The tubs are designed to be as light as possible. They use a different carbon lay-up than the clinchers. The hubs on the tubs iwhat sets the two apart. The tubs roll much nicer and accelerate quickly.. also the braking is much more solid than the clinchers. The clinchers come out much heavier.. I wasn't too impressed with them, just another high end deep dish wheel. NOW the tubulars will make you smile. I have used various D3' and found the D3 5 on the front and the D3 7 on the rear F_ _ _ing fly. I may try both 7's this year but live in a hilly area and like to keep my front more shallow. SO definetley the tubs

Online Wheel Builder
    Aside from weight, I think one of the big advantages of tubulars is the ride quality. On the road, they make a noticeable difference. If you ride CX at all tubulars will make a significant difference in this department.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    my vote is for the tubulars. lighter, better braking, safer.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    i don't know how a D3 has better braking in the Tubular version then the Clincher. I would say that's a mute point, since they should be the same. Ditto with the same Carbon layout, just designed slightly different due to the rim bead.

Tubular - Better ride quality, lighter so they spin up faster.

Clincher - Info from a lot of manufacturer's (Enve, Zipp and Bontrager), Clinchers might be slightly heavier but coupled with a latex or very lightweight Butyl, they are faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ok next question, i currently ride veloflex servitzo course 23mm tubs, 23 or 25 (arenberg)?
    Not F Schleck. The last 24k is downhill, and he descends like a drunken cat. Quote: justinb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Most aero clinchers have been tested and best performed with 22-23mm.

HED vanquished (not yet released) - recommends continental attack/force
    Enve 6.7 - also attack/force or vittoria open corsa 23mm.
    Zipp - tangente 23mm
    Reynolds aero's - vittoria open corso's I believe. Also 23mm.

GGW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    ok next question, i currently ride veloflex servitzo course 23mm tubs, 23 or 25 (arenberg)?
    On my D3 50mm tubular (27 mm rim width ) i glued on some Vittoria Evo cx 25 mm .The match is perfect ,great handlng in fast thecnical descend ,more comfort , i'm staying with 25 mm after compared with 23mm .I'm not slower with 25 mm . Great solid wheel .

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lee View Post
    i don't know how a D3 has better braking in the Tubular version then the Clincher. I would say that's a mute point, since they should be the same. Ditto with the same Carbon layout, just designed slightly different due to the rim bead.

Tubular - Better ride quality, lighter so they spin up faster.

Clincher - Info from a lot of manufacturer's (Enve, Zipp and Bontrager), Clinchers might be slightly heavier but coupled with a latex or very lightweight Butyl, they are faster.
    you make no sense in most of this post. regarding the braking question, you've already answered your own question in the part i bolded.
    how do you know whether the carbon layup is the same when you can't even use the correct word?
    and why would a clincher be faster depending on tube choice? speed is mostly determined by aerodynamics not weight. weight has an affect on acceleration, yes. top speed? no.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum