RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Bontrager Race X Lite or Race X Lite AERO

I have the opportunity to buy the Race X Lite or Race X Lite AERO at a great price.
    Deciding on which one would be best for all around racing, some climbing, road races on rolling courses, crits, etc. for racing in the North East.

The Race X Lite are 1490gr and the Race X Lite Aeros are 1790gr with a 31mm rim. In your experience, what would be the better option of the 2.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    If the great majority of your riding/racing is on the flats, go with the Aero.

But it sounds like you need an allround wheel, where weight is a factor (acceleration in sprints for crits, ditto on climbs.)

I'm a little biased as I have the X Lites and I find them to be a great allround wheel and troublefree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I've got X-lites and they've worked out pretty well for what I paid. A friend had both X-lites and X-lite Aero's and sold the Aero's because they were too flexy, especially out of the saddle.

Are these new wheels? There were some problems with hub flanges a while back.

banned
    Apr 2002
    I had both sets the X-lites and X Lite Aeros and as Dickey said the Aeros are very flexy. I go 160lbs and didnt like the flex, not to mention they are 1700+ grs. I think there are much better alternatives if you are looking for a aero wheel.

The X-Lites are a nice riding stiff light wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Race X Lite

~5000-6000 miles on Race-X-Lite (on my Madone 5.9, 2005 model) and no problems so far. I think they are good wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicky dirtrider
    Are these new wheels? There were some problems with hub flanges a while back.
    Yep. A small percentage of the 2004 X Lite's production had a bad forging in the rear hub (made by DT Swiss). Drive side flanges were breaking. It happened to mine at about 200 miles. Trek replaced the wheel in one day and no problems since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

I have the X-Lite tubulars

which are great that I bought used but like new at a good price off eBay. I do a fair amount of climbing in my area here in Central VA but they work great in all circumstances...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    x lite - great rim, a little flexy for me but i roll 195 and im a sprinter so thats going to happen. I use them as my race rim, everyone on my team uses them went away from SL's you will not regret getting them. I had 1 season of use on them and will have another soon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Thanks!

I went with the Bontrager Race X Lites for racing and Bontrager Race Lite Aeros for cross bike and crit wheels.
    Thank you for the responses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    other way around? X-lites for crits and cross. Aeros for the road races. Light rims on the x-lites for the crit corners and accelerations in cross. Aeros for the rolling efficiency at relatively steady speeds.