RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Bontrager Race X Lite Road upgrades...

Hi - I have about 5,000 miles on my Bontrager Race X Lite Road Wheels. I recently bought a Cinelli Spirit frame.I swapped the Ultegra components from my old Lemond Zurich onto the Cinelli. Lately, I've been thinking of upgrading the Race X Lite Road Wheels. I ride about 100 miles a week. Any suggestions for me as far as better, but reasonably priced and stiff wheels go?

Thanks.

Spicy Dumpling
    The Race X Lites are a top of the line wheelset. They are great light wheels, I have over 10000 miles on mine and they are still true and quiet. If you upgrade from them you are heading into the carbon world. Overkill for a non racer doing 100 miles a week IMHO.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I agree. BTW, I miss typed. I have Race Lites, not Race X Lites. So, given that, maybe Race X Lites might be a good upgrade.

Stumpcake!
    I went from Race Lites to Customs for not much more than I paid for the Race Lites. Race X Lites can be pricey.

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by dd74
    I agree. BTW, I miss typed. I have Race Lites, not Race X Lites. So, given that, maybe Race X Lites might be a good upgrade.
    Racelites are fine unless you are a serious weight weenie or a racer IMHO. My X-Lites came on my bike, I wouldn't spend that on a separate wheelset.

Signed, a reformed upgradeitits sufferer.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Stumpcake!
    I just reread this thread. To the OP....what exactly do you mean by "better" wheels? You mention stiffness but you really need to give us more details. Things to be considered are your size, riding style, type of roads, type of riding routes you do, things you do and don't like about your current wheels, weight and aero concerns.

If stiffness is a factor for you than the Race X Lites are most likely going to be less stiff than the Race Lites. They both have the same spoke counts / pattern types and similar rim profiles but with 200 grams less weight I can't see how they could possibly be stiffer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Yes, by "better" I mean stiffness and lighter.

RoadBikeReview Member

Which Spirit?

[QUOTE=dd74]I recently bought a Cinelli Spirit frame.QUOTE]

The Cinelli bikes are so bold graphically that choosing a wheelset that goes with the bike may be a consideration.

Cinelli uses the Mavic Ksyrium line to their top end bikes. I think it's a good choice as they come in black, grey or silver depending which model you choose.

Which color Spirit did you get?

I ride a Light weight steel tubeset bike, carbon stays and fork, It's a great ride for my 190lbs body weight.

My personal favorite Spirit is the Flash Titanium
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager Race X Lite Road upgrades...-cadrexl.jpg   Bontrager Race X Lite Road upgrades...-estrada_zoom_07.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    [QUOTE=Float]
    Quote Originally Posted by dd74
    I recently bought a Cinelli Spirit frame.QUOTE]

The Cinelli bikes are so bold graphically that choosing a wheelset that goes with the bike may be a consideration.

Cinelli uses the Mavic Ksyrium line to their top end bikes. I think it's a good choice as they come in black, grey or silver depending which model you choose.

Which color Spirit did you get?

I ride a Light weight steel tubeset bike, carbon stays and fork, It's a great ride for my 190lbs body weight.

My personal favorite Spirit is the Flash Titanium
    I've been considering the Mavic Ksyrium in black. I bought my Cinelli from Rocky Mountain Cyclery. It's white with no Cinelli markings whatsoever, though I was assured by Louie at RMC, that the bike was a real Cinelli. It was 50% off retail, and I needed a new frame anyway as my Lemond Zurich was too large. The frame didn't come with forks, so I've been using the carbon forks off the Lemond. But just a couple weeks ago, I scored the OEM forks for the Spirit frame from a guy on Craigslist.

I'd like to find some current/modern Cinelli decals to put on the bike, but haven't turned up any yet. Any ideas about this?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had those frames in my ebay "watch list", should be a great riding bike!

Sounds like the project is really coming together - good score on the fork!

Getting some vinyl graphics shouldn't be to hard (try a search on RBR,MTBR or Ebay), there are lots of places that do that kind of thing. They'll be a little on the fragile side but should be fine cause I imagine you'll be treating this bike with kit gloves.