RoadBikeReview Member

Bontrager RaceLite conversion to Campy

I've got a pair of Bontrager RaceLite wheels that I like well enough, but I'm thinking about switching to a Campy drive train. According to the Bontrager web site, they're easily converted from Shimano compatible to Campy compatible, but none of the local Bontrager dealers were much help. Anyone know where I might be able to buy a Bontrager Campy freehub? The hubs are made by DT Swiss, but their web site wasn't much help either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess a secondary question would be, am I better changing the freehub and using a Campy cassette or just using a conversion cassette with the existing Shimano compatible freehub. Seems like the cost of the conversion cassette would be less than the cost of another freehub and a Campy cassette, but what about shifting performance?

You've probably already guessed it. An original Campy cassette is the most optimal configuration. It does indeed cost quite a bit I think to make the conversion. Perhaps in the area of $100?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think I *would* prefer to be able to use a Campy cassette rather than the conversion type, but if I can't find a Bontrager Campy freehub it may be a moot point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Your local Trek dealer should be able to order the conversion hub.

It cost about $100. The conversion cassette will probably not work on a Bontrager hub. The first cog touches the spokes! I tried it and ended up selling the wheels anyhow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, $100 is probably 1/2 to 1/3 what the whole wheelset is worth on the used market. Seems like I'd almost be better off building myself a new set of wheels at that point. This whole Shimano to Campy idea keeps getting more expensive every day. I do appreciate you warning me about the conversion cassette problem on a Bontrager hub though. Did you try it with an American Classic cassette or the Wheels Manufacturing one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Wheels Manufacturing one

Quote Originally Posted by ric426
    Well, $100 is probably 1/2 to 1/3 what the whole wheelset is worth on the used market. Seems like I'd almost be better off building myself a new set of wheels at that point. This whole Shimano to Campy idea keeps getting more expensive every day. I do appreciate you warning me about the conversion cassette problem on a Bontrager hub though. Did you try it with an American Classic cassette or the Wheels Manufacturing one?
    Wheels Manufacturing one but I suspect the American Classic has the same issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got curious and called American Classic, and asked about using their conversion cassette on Bontrager wheels. The guy I talked to said that there wasn't a problem and they'd never heard of any issues with their cassettes on Bontrager wheels. I mentioned the spoke rub problem using the Wheels Manufacturing cassette, and he said that the Wheels one are made a little differently and that might account for it.
    It seems that the conversion cassette may be the *only* option. I'd written to Trek tech support this morning, asking about getting a Campy cassette for my RaceLite set and just got a reponse saying "As long as your wheels are the 2005 grey Race Lites they are convertible to campy. You only need a camp free hub body - part # 252757." Mine are 2004 blue RaceLites so I asked about them specifically, and it turns out that they're not convertible.
    I think I'll try the American Classic cassette. I'll make sure that I can return it if it doesn't look like it'll be right. It's sure a cheaper alternative to buying the Bontrager freehub and a Campy cassette. I'm planning on new wheels later, when I can afford it, and I'll just do 'em with Campy hubs and a Campy cassette and keep the Bontragers for spares.
    Last edited by ric426; 07-26-2005 at 09:05 AM.