RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

bontrager ssr or mavic cxp 22?

Hi folks I'm trying to decide between a couple different bikes. They are similar in components. One difference is the wheels. Is there much difference between the bontrager ssr with alex rims,and the mavic cxp 22?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Does anyone know the answer to this question? I am in a similar dilemma in trying to determine the quality of the Bontrager SSR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    they're pretty damn similar - ie fairly low end rims. however, if its the same one i'm thinking of, the ssr is a 20 spoke front and 24 rear paired design.

In that case the cxp22 is the better choice as it is likely to be a 32h conventional 3 cross pattern front and rear. the more spokes and less empty rim space means a stronger wheel that is easier repaired and trued by a novice.

for me it doesn't matter - i would get the better bike, take the cassette off and immediately ebay either wheelset and replace with something of better quality and longevity (and a lot lighter too!)

if you are not interested in doing this, and wish to keep whatever is on the bike, then i would stay with the more conventional reliable cxp22 with 32 spokes.

Hope that helps both of you.