wow
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Bontrager XXX Lite Carbon Team Tubular

My LBS will sell me a set of these wheels for 1k. I am very tempted to go for it other than the fact that I have no experience with tubular tires. They would be great for racing but what about everyday use. If i spend this much money on wheels and tires I will want to ride them all the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    i would buy them no ?s
    if you dont, please give me the number so i can

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    wow: i wouldn't do it. tubular is for racing only. XXX-light use primary for climbing. on flats/descent you'll lose alot of time. since you want to use it as daily ride, it's better to go for Mavic ES or bontrager X-light and you'll still have some money left for something else. not to mention those two are very good for climbing too and of course excellent on descent/flat. GL!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    they are one of the best rims made by bontrager, thats a sweet price. I have a set of x lites, i would love to have a set of those rims more

attaque tous le temp
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by z ken
    wow: i wouldn't do it. tubular is for racing only. XXX-light use primary for climbing. on flats/descent you'll lose alot of time. since you want to use it as daily ride, it's better to go for Mavic ES or bontrager X-light and you'll still have some money left for something else. not to mention those two are very good for climbing too and of course excellent on descent/flat. GL!!
    yes - tubulars are "racing only" for most....since clinchers are widely availible and a spare tube is easier to carry than a full tire...however people used to only have tubulars, and they trained on them, and i know some people that have old rims laced to modern 105 level hubs, with good, touring or training tubulars they train on only....

2 - mavic es/bonti x-lite are going to be no better for descent/flat than the xxx-light. rim height/aerodynamics matters for descending and flats (and stiffness) and while the mavic's are nice wheels (and the x-lites) something that is 38mm, or 50mm, or more rim depth is going to provide a whole lot more benefit than the 24mm or whatever the mavic es is. the trick is, most people don't ride 38 or 50mm rims as daily wheels.

to the op - most ~1k + wheels are too nice to be ridden every day....its terrible, but thats the way life is (in my experience) if you can afford to pothole them, by all means. most (not all, but most) peoplpe who have "nice" wheels also have wheels they ride very day, and bust out the goods for "special" rides. to some that is raceday. to others its the sunday shop ride. to others yet it, the sun is shining and its nice out. the xxx lite carbon team tub looks to be the same as the the xxx lite carbon tub....but with a big markup....

yes you are getting a deal. yes they would be sweet wheels. if they are good enough to climb alpe d'huez with, they way more than good enough for me or you.

personally, i wouldn't get them. for 1k you could buy a good set of daily wheels. im not going to reccomend open pros on da hubs w/ 32 2X spoke training wheels, although they are an option and great for daily riding. why not look at some 3-5, even 600 dollar sets. easton circuits (and other models), neuvations, mavic ssc's (same thing as the basically) reynolds....all sorts of things out there. if you want something that will help you out all-around, look into some "medium" profile rims....there are a bunch of ~30mm, 1450-1600g wheelsets out there that while not be the ultimate in durable (compared to custom built above mentioned set), should stand up fine, be plenty light, plenty stiff, and plenty aero.....i just think they you would be better served by something that can handle a variety of needs, up, down, flat, wind, etc., then spending alot of money for a 1-trick pony. plus, at those wieghts, you only lose 250-400g. yea, thats like 1/2lb or whatever, but most people can loose that other places (their gut) or from a less-full waterbottle. if you are a protour climber...it may matter...for us mortals....not an issue

wow
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I can't stand it, you know what they say about a fool and his money.........right now I have a set of bonti race lites that i ride everyday and yes they are good wheels.

footballcat, check with a trek dealer, these wheels are on some kind of end of year clearance special.......was what i was told, but you better hurry the deal ends today.