RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Boyd 38mm Carbon Clincher vs. Mavic Ksyrium SL

I am about to get the new wheelset in the next couple weeks and need your opinion between Boyd 38mm Carbon Clincher and Mavic Ksyrium SL. Their price is nearly the same, provided that I will buy new and not from Ebay (I care about warranty). Boyd is even lighter than Ksyrium SL.
    My current wheel is Ksyrium Elite and I'm happy with Elite but would like to know from someone who have tried both Boyd 38mm Clincher and Ksyrium SL.
    I don't race but in the weekend always try to be a weekend warrior. I do a lot of climbing and I will not use this wheel when it's raining (as I have my rain bike) unless I caught the rain.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Dude, this isn't even close. Boyd. In some ways you're comparing apples to oranges here (carbon clincher vs. alloy clincher). The closer - but still entirely unfair - comparison would be Boyd's Vitesse vs. the Mavics, in which case his Vitesse win hands down. But if you're itching to spend $1000, then get his carbon clinchers. You won't be disappointed.

Full disclosure: I'm currently putting some miles on a set of 2009 Ksyrium SLs - they came with my bike and they're fine, but are nothing special. I would never in a million years spend $1000 for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You are comparing two dissimilar wheels so do what every weekend warrior does and pick the one set that looks cooler on your bike. I doubt you will detect enough of a performance difference between the two. If you weigh more than 220 lbs the Mavics may arguably be more durable. The Mavic hubs are average, I don't have experience with the other.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Apples to oranges....but if I had to make the choice between the two, Boyd.

But then again, I'm biased - I have the 38mm tubulars

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by simonaway427 View Post
    Apples to oranges....but if I had to make the choice between the two, Boyd.

But then again, I'm biased - I have the 38mm tubulars
    I understand ... that's apples to oranges. I should say it first but this just help me on the decision based on other experience. How long have you had your Boyd 38mm tubulars?
    Have you ever had any problem with it? How's the braking compare to aluminium wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    The new shimano ultegra and DA wheels kinda make k's obsolete. They're cheaper, lighter, and better.