Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009

Boyd vs. Williams

Has anyone ridden these wheels? I'm specifically interested in the 58 carbon wheels (tubular or clincher). The price point is great for both these wheelsets but was interested in some feedback on how they ride and the durability as an everyday wheelset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the heavier first gen model. I use them as everyday wheels and love them. The ceramic hybrid bearings roll really smooth. They've been bullet proof since purchased. I climb with them and they are stiff and responsive. I've contacted williams before for servicing and they respond quickly, can't be good customer service. You can't go wrong with their wheels IMHO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I have Williams 50mm carbon clinchers, and they've been bulletproof since new.
    I also know Boyd very well, and have seen, held, touched his wheels. They're handbuilt to a high standard here in the US. That being said, I've never ridden a set (hint Boyd...send me a set to test...).

Can't really go wrong either way...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Love my williams 38c wheels. Hubs are super smooth. Great braking with no pulsing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Haven't ridden Boyd wheels personally, but I know many who do. I haven't heard anything bad about them, only praises. However, Williams wheels hubs are atrocious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for all the responses....I've contacted Boyd and he is going to send me pictures of his new wheels with newly designed stickers. Glad to hear that either wheelset will be good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I have Boyd 50mm carbon clinchers, the 2nd generation models. With about 1,500 miles on them, they've been bulletproof since new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I have been riding my Boyd 50 mm clinchers for the last 3months and they have been great. I am 185 lbs and not a sign of flex.
    My teammates have ordered 8 pairs in different configurations and I have yet to hear a single complaint.

Go for the Boyd wheels.
    2014 Cannondale Synapse HM Matte Black
    2014 Shimano PD-9000 Pedals
    2012 Shimano7970 Di2
    2014 Boyd Carbon Clinchers
    Second set of wheels: 2014Boyd Altamont

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veloci1
    I have been riding my Boyd 50 mm clinchers for the last 3months and they have been great. I am 185 lbs and not a sign of flex.
    My teammates have ordered 8 pairs in different configurations and I have yet to hear a single complaint.

Go for the Boyd wheels.
    Thanks for the input. I think I will go for the Boyd wheels. Now the question is do I go with th 58's or 50's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I am actually trying to make the same decision. I am trying to decide on rim depth, how much more stiffness can I expect from a 50mm then a 38?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Just a note on my experience with Boyd 58 clinchers. FWIW

I purchased a pair of 58 clinchers from Boyd last fall. I am a larger rider at 6ft 4in and weigh 200 and went over this when buying from Boyd to be sure this was the best fit for me. Upon getting the wheel and riding it for a couple hundred miles I noticed the rear was out of true and I was getting brake rub when climbing. (Yes I took care to install the brakes correctly.)
    Needless to say this was disappointing so I took the wheel to a local shop to re-true on my dime. When attempting to true the wheel and verify the the product appeared to be a good fit for my size and riding style he expressed some concern.
    After communicating this with Boyd he advised to send the wheel back to him and have it re-built.
    Living in the midwest and shipping to South Carolina I expected the turn around to be short. This was not the case in that I had to wait a couple of weeks to hear anything about the status of the repair. In discussing the option for refund due to product quality concerns and delay in repair I learned there was a change in wheel builder and that the repaired wheel would be back soon.
    Needless to say these issues do not inspire confidence in the product and make me question my purchase with Boyd. (I've been told that his peers use the same wheelset with great success and likely generate much more power than myself). Hopefully this issue is unique. To his credit Boyd has done a decent job in communicating with my about my concerns - save the delay in the rear wheel repair. Due to the riding season ending I've had little opportunity to spend time on the repaired rear wheel and am eager to see if this resolves the issue. If the issue remains I will be in touch with Boyd to look at other options.

I hope this info helps when making such an investment.
    Last edited by bridgearoo; 02-24-2011 at 08:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thank you, that is good to know. I'm looking for the whole package, the product and good customer service.

I still have another month or so to decide, I'll keep doing my research.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgearoo
    Just a note on my experience with Boyd 58 clinchers. FWIW
    All in all, sounds like a builder who stands by his product and did right by you. Very cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brians647
    All in all, sounds like a builder who stands by his product and did right by you. Very cool.
    I certainly hope that Boyd can and will stand by his product. However, there are a couple of issues that would prevent me in buying from him again.
    1. The rear wheel came out of true so quickly after purchase and few miles.
    2. Rear wheel flex and brake rub. I am concerned that based on my size and riding style the wheelset may not be appropriate for me despite taking the time to clarify these concerns prior to purchase.

I hope these concerns are unique and are resolved once winter breaks and I can get back out on the road. As of today I am concerned about the ability of this product to deliver on my specific riding needs.

irony intended
    what is the noise level on the williams hubs (i prefer quiet)? the "new technology" model wheels like the 38s is what i am thinking about. anyone know?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I have a set of Boyd 38mm tubulars and am very happy with them. Called and talked to him on the phone about my desires and he was very kind and informative. Exchanged emails as well, and his replies were always quick and informative. My main use for the wheels is a cross race wheel, although they will do double duty as a road race wheel as well. I wanted the wheel to be really stiff, so we agreed to lace the rear 2X on both sides. Gotta say the wheels are very stiff and light. Not sure you can beat these wheels for the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    The hub on the williams wheels is pretty loud. The wheels ride so great i can ignore the noise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Boyd's customer service is amazing and he's a nice guy to deal with. True story, my father who has Boyd's 85mm clincher wheels had a problem with the rear hub - the band that acts as a spring for the things that make the click sound when you coast had broke after about a half year of use. Well he sent Boyd an email about it after he got back from his ride, and before we could even begin to talk about it, literally 15 seconds later, his phone rang. It was Boyd on the other end. A replacement part was immediately shipped out. Not exagerrating, still can't believe it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy
    Boyd's customer service is amazing and he's a nice guy to deal with. True story, my father who has Boyd's 85mm clincher wheels had a problem with the rear hub - the band that acts as a spring for the things that make the click sound when you coast had broke after about a half year of use. Well he sent Boyd an email about it after he got back from his ride, and before we could even begin to talk about it, literally 15 seconds later, his phone rang. It was Boyd on the other end. A replacement part was immediately shipped out. Not exagerrating, still can't believe it.
    I think that's badass.
    I've dealt with too many clowns in my time, and it's nice to hear more reports of someone doing it right.
    Referencing Bridgaroo's experience: Servicing on the part of many builders is lax at best; with bigger companies (Shim, Mavic, Campy), it will take you a heckuva lot longer to get your stuff back than two weeks. More like four in most cases (that was my experience in the fall with Mavic).
    The bottom line is: stuff happens - it's understandable. How a person/company deals with it tells the real tale. Good on Boyd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Does anyone know the actually weights for the Williams 38mm and Boyd 38mm clinchers?

Manufacturers weight (from website):

Williams 38=1463g
    Boyd=1410g

Boyd Cycling owner
    I know the answer to that one :-)
    Actually, right after you posted that I laced up a set of the 38mm clinchers and weighed them (it's pretty hard to balance two untensioned wheels on top of another on a scale).
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks coachboyd, that's exactly what I wanted to see.

That's about 70grams difference between the 38mm and 50mm. Is the aero advantage much greater with 50's over the 38?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I can only say. I have dealt with Willams wheels. And they are top shelf! Now I have to resist the urge to buy the System 30........Dam!

Good Luck
    James

Boyd Cycling owner
    I wouldn't say that it's a huge difference in aerodynamics, but it's also not a big weight difference. We like to tell people that if you're going to have one wheelset that does it all, the 50mm is a good choice. If you are looking for more climbing or like more control in very windy days, then the 38mm might be good for you.
    www.boydcycling.com Handcrafted Revolution

Velocipediologist
    Do Williams carbon clinchers have a lowered brake track?
    Do Boyd carbon clinchers have a lowered brake track?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast