RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Thumbs down Buyer beware with Brodie

Just wanted to throw out there that you should be cautious with a new Brodie bike that the tires may not be very reliable.
    I got a Ronin exactly a year ago and have had four spokes break. I'm not a big guy by any means. I ride it to work regularly, but not hard. The shops say that they were lower gauge and not high quality.
    It's cost me a lot of time and hassle and money. I just got a whole new wheel because the old one was ravaged by running unbalanced too many times.
    Brodie apparently just buys whatever crappy parts they can get in bulk, so look out!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like you rode an out-of-true wheel "too many times" and then it broke. How is that the fault of Brodie Bikes?

Brodie apparently just buys whatever crappy parts they can get in bulk, so look out!
    Them and everyone else who do R&D in North America or EU and gets their bikes built in Taiwan and China. My main problem with Brodie bikes is that their 2013 lineup is made up of butt-ugly bikes with the exception of a couple of models.
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Unhappy

[QUOTE=demonrider;4382348]Sounds like you rode an out-of-true wheel "too many times" and then it broke. How is that the fault of Brodie Bikes?

If you mean the four times the spokes spontaneously broke, then sure, I guess. When you have a brand new bike you don't think it's necessary to inspect the spokes every morning, so it might take a day to notice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In that case you need to talk to whoever sold you the bike. They should provide free warranty service at least for the first year of use. I still think this is a maintenance issue rather than something inherently wrong with the company.
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by demonrider View Post
    In that case you need to talk to whoever sold you the bike. They should provide free warranty service at least for the first year of use. I still think this is a maintenance issue rather than something inherently wrong with the company.
    Yeah, I've been in touch with them. Nothing they can do can get me back this year of hassle.
    I don't see how I was to better maintain the spokes.
    You understand that I said they were unbalanced meaning that the spoke would break for no reason then the wheel would end up being stressed till I noticed the broken spoke within a ride or two?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by blloyd View Post
    Yeah, I've been in touch with them. Nothing they can do can get me back this year of hassle.
    I don't see how I was to better maintain the spokes.
    You understand that I said they were unbalanced meaning that the spoke would break for no reason then the wheel would end up being stressed till I noticed the broken spoke within a ride or two?
    Not saying anything is your fault or not, but you're saying you didn't notice broken spokes right when it happened? it took your a "ride or two" to notice they were broken?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, being on the back I didn't see it, and it was remarkably unnoticeable in the way it rode. It got to the point where I was paranoid every time I went over a slightly bumpy road that another spoke had gone. Obviously it's pretty clear if you see it spin, so I would check that periodically too.

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Not saying anything is your fault or not, but you're saying you didn't notice broken spokes right when it happened? it took your a "ride or two" to notice they were broken?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Crap happens. Stop being such a whining nancy and take it back to the shop you bought it from and let them try to make it right.

Re: Buyer beware with Brodie

In my experience, spokes break on a new bike because the rider weighs a lot and/or doesn't know how to get his ass off of the saddle when hitting rough pavement. I haven't seen any decent bikes that had substandard spokes...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray