RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

BWW vs. Vuelta Corsa Lite

I want (but probably don't yet need) a new wheelset this year. My budget is not great, but somewhere in the $300s.

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 different wheelsets.

The BWW Blackset Race 11 built on their own Pure hubs, claimed at about 1500 grams, or the Vuelta Corsa Lite wheels built with EZO hubs claimed at about 1580 grams.

BWW wheelset is 24/28 spokes. The Corsa is 20/24 spokes.

My weight is 140 lbs. Will be used for road riding in hilly area, eg. 600 ft elevation gain climbs. Bike is a Trek 2100. I am doing fast group rides and the occasional road race.

Any opinions one way or the other? The BWW are $340, the Vueltas are similar from Nashbar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I would buy the BWW wheelset 10/10 times over the Vueltas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had to make the same decision and chose the BWW. It came down to not being able to find any reviews on the vueltas and only good reviews on the BWW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fedrusion
    I had to make the same decision and chose the BWW. It came down to not being able to find any reviews on the vueltas and only good reviews on the BWW.

How are the rims on the BWW? I'm curious to know if there are wear indicator dots (I don't know why, I just am).

These will be my go-to wheels for most training and races.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I bet those rims are kinlin xr270's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 140 as well, and ride in a very hilly area (2K+ gains).
    I've got close to 4K miles now on my BWW blackset race sl - still true, still round, only the occasional minor tweak to keep them so

great, light wheels for the price.

Hubs are formulas- RB68 and RB210s. The SLs come with a Ti axle on the rear hub. They do carry an alloy cassette body, so your cassette will gouge it over time. I've found it is not too bad, but picked up an extra body just in case.
    The rims are light enough that on flat rides you do get the "parachute" effect when you stop pedaling, at least compared to my beasty 2000g trainers. They just don't have enough mass to keep spinning for long- no biggee, but you can feel it.

(and i also think the rims are Kinlins)