RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

C-4 Bicycle Components CC 3.3SL Wheelset- Problems!

Hi everyone, I'm looking for experiences dealing with C-4 Bicycle Components, specifically for warranty work. I purchased some very nice wheels from them (CC 3.3SL ... can't post links yet but you can check it out on their website) and on my 3rd (!) ride with them had a bit of a mishap with a curb leading to an unrepairable rear wheel.

No worries, I thought, the wheels come with a 3 year crash replacement warranty!

• I emailed them 7/1 to inquire about the warranty process (even included a pic of the damaged wheel) - No response
    • I sent another email 8/2 to follow up and see if maybe they missed the first one - Nothing yet
    • Called the number on their web site ((949) 306-2110) and it went to Sprint PCS voice mail, with no identification (computer voice reciting the phone number) - Strange...

Does anyone know what's up with this company? Would love to get these things fixed!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LucJoe View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for experiences dealing with C-4 Bicycle Components, specifically for warranty work. I purchased some very nice wheels from them (CC 3.3SL ... can't post links yet but you can check it out on their website) and on my 3rd (!) ride with them had a bit of a mishap with a curb leading to an unrepairable rear wheel.

No worries, I thought, the wheels come with a 3 year crash replacement warranty!

• I emailed them 7/1 to inquire about the warranty process (even included a pic of the damaged wheel) - No response
    • I sent another email 8/2 to follow up and see if maybe they missed the first one - Nothing yet
    • Called the number on their web site ((949) 306-2110) and it went to Sprint PCS voice mail, with no identification (computer voice reciting the phone number) - Strange...

Does anyone know what's up with this company? Would love to get these things fixed!
    Did you try calling Fairwheel Bikes? I believe they are a distributor as well. How did the wheels feel on the first two rides?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hit or miss with C-4 and Marcus/Mark Hoskins. keep trying or contact FWB like the other poster aid,. maybe they can help.

Good luck LucJoe. Hope they are fine and you get your wheel fixed.
    Last edited by DIRT BOY; 08-08-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keppler View Post
    Did you try calling Fairwheel Bikes? I believe they are a distributor as well. How did the wheels feel on the first two rides?
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    Hit or miss with C-4 and Marcus/Mark Hoskins. keep trying or contact FWB like the other poster aid,. maybe they can help.

Good luck LucJoe. Hope they are fine and you get your wheel fixed.
    Thanks guys. I actually got the wheels from PedalForce originally so I didn't contact Fairwheel or anything. Mark got back to me last weekend and I shipped the damaged wheel out to C-4 yesterday. Can't wait to get it back!

The wheels felt great on my first few rides, but I was upgrading from a set of cheap Mavic Aksiums so it's very easy to feel the difference. Noticeably lighter but I seem to get blown around much more by cross drafts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great. Hope it comes back fixed and your happy.
    Last edited by DIRT BOY; 08-09-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by LucJoe View Post
    Thanks guys. I actually got the wheels from PedalForce originally so I didn't contact Fairwheel or anything. Mark got back to me last weekend and I shipped the damaged wheel out to C-4 yesterday. Can't wait to get it back!

The wheels felt great on my first few rides, but I was upgrading from a set of cheap Mavic Aksiums so it's very easy to feel the difference. Noticeably lighter but I seem to get blown around much more by cross drafts.
    We wish you all the best in dealing with Mark Hoskin. To say that experience has been mixed would the the height of understatement. To prepare yourself psychologically, Google his name and see what comes up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Just an update for everyone.

Mark replaced the wheel, and I'm back in business! Overall great experience with C-4

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    probably after he read this thread...

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie View Post
    probably after he read this thread...
    edit.
    Last edited by Zen Cyclery; 11-21-2011 at 04:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    I suspect that Fairwheel dropped them precisely for that reason...
    undoubtedly product quality was their only problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Another speculation - the product quality varies because of a severe cash flow problem and not paying the bills. This creates the need for a constant supply of new vendors who have not worked out the kinks in manufacturing and who do not know they will not get paid. The constant dealing with new suppliers, and dealing with the old suppliers who want to get paid leaves no time to deal with warranty issues and customer service. The whole thing spirals out of control and then there are no dealers selling your product anymore.
    Last edited by ruger; 11-21-2011 at 05:28 PM.