Thread: Calypso K tires

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Thumbs up Calypso K tires

I now have over 500 miles on these tires. They are absolutely the best clinchers I have ever ridden. I rode tubulars prior to clinchers, and loved the tubular ride. The Calypso K is the closest to the tubular ride I have found. Used to flat frequently, none with the Calypso K. Gommitalia was unknown to me, they were recommended.

Marco Esquandolas
    I road a pair last year and loved them!! My only complaint was their wear life. after one year, the rear tread was pretty much gone. Other than that, they were great. Easy to install with a great ride.

RoadBikeReview Member

Gommitalia

They are a long time maker of tires in Italy. I still have a pair of tubulars that I bought in the 70's. FWIW, the current production of clinchers are made at the same plant as Veloflex in Italy using the same casings. Some of the treads are different as is the packaging.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Really wished that they sold them as singles

That way i could buy 3 and swap out the front to rear and go new on the front. I like the set i have but began using a 25mm this season and of course they only come in 23s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    So do the Calypsos really FEEL differently than other tires you've used? Having not ridden tubulars, I know that there's something magical and a lot of mystique surrounding how they feel and how they grip/roll. Please explain how the Calypsos feel on the road. (I'm considering purchasing them/asking for them for Xmas.)

Many thanks,
    Nige

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Thumbs up Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by GiantNigel
    So do the Calypsos really FEEL differently than other tires you've used? Having not ridden tubulars, I know that there's something magical and a lot of mystique surrounding how they feel and how they grip/roll. Please explain how the Calypsos feel on the road. (I'm considering purchasing them/asking for them for Xmas.)

Many thanks,
    Nige
    I rode tubs for many years, these are almost their equal. I have ridden clinchers the past two years. I have used Michelin Axial Pro, Conti 3000 and 4000. These are far superior to those. I have not had a flat in 5 months (flatted frequently prior), they handle well in wet and dry, mount easily, roll very well. The only negative I have heard about is that they wear faster. I have not experienced that result. And I must mention they are inexpensive, two for $55. They come in a really nice tin container.
    Stan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by netso
    I rode tubs for many years, these are almost their equal. I have ridden clinchers the past two years. I have used Michelin Axial Pro, Conti 3000 and 4000. These are far superior to those. I have not had a flat in 5 months (flatted frequently prior), they handle well in wet and dry, mount easily, roll very well. The only negative I have heard about is that they wear faster. I have not experienced that result. And I must mention they are inexpensive, two for $55. They come in a really nice tin container.
    Stan
    I don't know about that! So far I'm really digging my new Conti GP4000's. I've not used Calypso K's in a few years, but I was not that impressed with them. The GP4000's weigh less - a noticable difference. So far, no flats but the GP4000 has not been out long enough for me to wear em out.

Did a quick search for the K's, and lowest price I found so far was about $69 per pair, where do you get them for $55?? I see that competitive cyclist sells 2006 K's for $35/each.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman
    That way i could buy 3 and swap out the front to rear and go new on the front. I like the set i have but began using a 25mm this season and of course they only come in 23s.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...Y.ID=261&MODE=

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Excelsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by wipeout
    I don't know about that! So far I'm really digging my new Conti GP4000's. I've not used Calypso K's in a few years, but I was not that impressed with them. The GP4000's weigh less - a noticable difference. So far, no flats but the GP4000 has not been out long enough for me to wear em out.

Did a quick search for the K's, and lowest price I found so far was about $69 per pair, where do you get them for $55?? I see that competitive cyclist sells 2006 K's for $35/each.
    $54.95 pr. Black, red or yellow?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Beware, though: all the Excel Sports tires are the tan-sidewall versions. I called them yesterday. The "black" ones on offer there aren't black-on-black, but the black-on-tan model. I'll be looking to pick up some black-on-blacks if I get 'em.

Nasty, brutish, and tall.
    I was looking for info on the Gommi Avant 2s, and stumbled across this aging thread. It needs a revival! I will be buying Calypsos until Excel stops selling them. I don't understand how such a great tire can be so cheap...or how, for a mere $55, it can also come in a sweet cookie tin!

So...if anyone has any Gommi Avants, let me know how they roll. Also, any word on whether the black/black Calypsos are available anywhere?
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Did you click on the link?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by netso
    I now have over 500 miles on these tires. They are absolutely the best clinchers I have ever ridden. I rode tubulars prior to clinchers, and loved the tubular ride. The Calypso K is the closest to the tubular ride I have found. Used to flat frequently, none with the Calypso K. Gommitalia was unknown to me, they were recommended.
    How much do they wiegh? Cost?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrew
    How much do they wiegh? Cost?
    Calypso's usually run about $70 a pair, and are worth it! Gommis/Veloflex are the best clinchers out there. If you have more $, check out the Targas: they run about $60 a tire, but are a higher TPI and even better ride! Not the longest wear, but really, who cares if a tire lasts 300 miles less than a rough-riding carbon clincher? So it costs the user essentially an extra $5 to replace it sooner: for somebody with a $3000 bike, the cost is insignificant compared to the huge step up in ride quality. Riding a great tire such as these will do just as much for comfort as buying a high-dollar carbon frame, and is alot cheaper!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Don't forget the collector's tin!

Love mine. I do have to agree that rear tread wore out pretty quickly, Of course that could be because of my fat a$$ more than anything.

Nasty, brutish, and tall.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    Calypso's usually run about $70 a pair...
    $55 at Excel. I'm usually pretty leery of cheap tires, especially the classic cotton variety - they're usually a long way from round/straight. I bought these originally because Excel is sort of my LBS, and is really good at not stocking anything crappy. (I know, every bike shop says "by cyclists, for cyclists" - but Excel really means it!) If they sell it, it's usually good for something. EXCELLENT tires. Just wish they came in all black from somewhere other than Competitive Cyclist...
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor