RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Campagnolo Neutron Ultra v. Shamal????

My brother had pretty much decided to get the Neutron Ultra for his Colnago EPS after asking the question on here about the Neutron v. Neutron Ultra. He had ruled out the Eurus and Shamal 2 Way Fit as he found them to be excellent wheels, fantastically built, and look great but too harsh on previous bikes he's had. However, like Orange Julius said in his response to my other thread, if tubeless tyres are used then the Shamal is less harsh. He said that using 85-90 pounds of pressure on the Shamal with tubeless tyres as opposed to 100 on the Neutron equals the comfort of the Neutron. With the comfort factor being very important in the decision process which wheels would you get, the Shamal or Neutron Ultra? Safety is obviouly a big plus in using tubeless tyres too. There doesn't seem to be that many tubeless tyres being available for sale at the moment but is that likely to change in the future? Thanks very much in advance for your replies.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by miurasv
    My brother had pretty much decided to get the Neutron Ultra for his Colnago EPS after asking the question on here about the Neutron v. Neutron Ultra. He had ruled out the Eurus and Shamal 2 Way Fit as he found them to be excellent wheels, fantastically built, and look great but too harsh on previous bikes he's had. However, like Orange Julius said in his response to my other thread, if tubeless tyres are used then the Shamal is less harsh. He said that using 85-90 pounds of pressure on the Shamal with tubeless tyres as opposed to 100 on the Neutron equals the comfort of the Neutron. With the comfort factor being very important in the decision process which wheels would you get, the Shamal or Neutron Ultra? Safety is obviouly a big plus in using tubeless tyres too. There doesn't seem to be that many tubeless tyres being available for sale at the moment but is that likely to change in the future? Thanks very much in advance for your replies.
    Miurasv,
    Are you asking this question for yourself or on behalf of your brother? If he has already decided on the Neutron Ultra, then he should go for it. It's a great wheelset. There is no denying that the Eurus and Shamal are less comfortable than the Neutrons unless you run tubeless.

So if you and/or your brother doesn't feel like you are willing to deal with the ownership needs of tubeless then by all means get a set of Neutrons.

To be honest, I decided to try a set of tubeless only after a friend showed me in person what the maintenance was like, and recommended it. If it hadn't been for him, I would have stuck with my clincher Neutron and would be really happy anyway. If you were near the Boston area I'd let you ride my Shamal tubeless and Neutron clincher back-to-back to compare. ;-) It is truly hard to decide on bike purchases for lack of test options, isn't it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius
    Miurasv,
    Are you asking this question for yourself or on behalf of your brother? If he has already decided on the Neutron Ultra, then he should go for it. It's a great wheelset. There is no denying that the Eurus and Shamal are less comfortable than the Neutrons unless you run tubeless.

So if you and/or your brother doesn't feel like you are willing to deal with the ownership needs of tubeless then by all means get a set of Neutrons.

To be honest, I decided to try a set of tubeless only after a friend showed me in person what the maintenance was like, and recommended it. If it hadn't been for him, I would have stuck with my clincher Neutron and would be really happy anyway. If you were near the Boston area I'd let you ride my Shamal tubeless and Neutron clincher back-to-back to compare. ;-) It is truly hard to decide on bike purchases for lack of test options, isn't it?
    Thanks for your reply, OJ. It would be nice to meet up but we are in Wales, UK. Thanks for the offer. My brother has just ordered the Shamal Ultra 2 Way Fit because of what you said about the added comfort of tubeless tyres on the Shamal and they are potentially much safer in the event of a puncture/blow out. He would have got the Neutron Ultra if they were available in a 2 Way Fit but they aren't. He thinks tubeless tyres are the way forward and is hoping that there will be better availablity and a larger choice of tubeless tyres in the near future. If this is the case he'd have been sorry he got the Neutron Ultras as he wouldn't have been able to fit tubeless tyres of course. What are the ownership needs of tubeless tyres that you mentioned?

classiquesklassieker
    Thanks for your reply, OJ. It would be nice to meet up but we are in Wales, UK. Thanks for the offer. My brother has just ordered the Shamal Ultra 2 Way Fit because of what you said about the added comfort of tubeless tyres on the Shamal and they are potentially much safer in the event of a puncture/blow out. He would have got the Neutron Ultra if they were available in a 2 Way Fit but they aren't. He thinks tubeless tyres are the way forward and is hoping that there will be better availablity and a larger choice of tubeless tyres in the near future. If this is the case he'd have been sorry he got the Neutron Ultras as he wouldn't have been able to fit tubeless tyres of course. What are the ownership needs of tubeless tyres that you mentioned?
    I'm sure you've read through the "your tubeless experience" thread? Short list off the top of my head:

* Read Campag's tip about seating the bead on the center (deepest) well of the rim so make installation of the opposing side easier.
    * Use soapy water, but be careful that the soap you use doesn't contain ammonia.
    * Inflate with floor pump, then use plastic tool to remove valve, and pump in some sealant (I use Hutch Fas'air) through the removed valve. This is much easier and cleaner.
    * Have a good floor pump, put valve at 9 o'clock position to re-inflate tyres.
    * You should disassemble, clean, and re-install the tyres every couple of months. The sealant eventually gunks up over time and won't work anymore.

Just a few tips that I learned and have found to be very useful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks again for your reply, Orange Julius. Do you have to use sealant on 2 Way Fit Rims? I understand it's beneficial in the event of a puncture but is it needed to keep the tyre inflated?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I've got a set as well, I have not used sealant, but need to top up the pressure every few days or so. I was able to install without levers/compressor/sealant, but have a lot of experience with mtb tubeless.

I'm using these wheels with hutchinson fusion 3 and they ride very well IMO (~210lb rider).

classiquesklassieker
    Thanks again for your reply, Orange Julius. Do you have to use sealant on 2 Way Fit Rims? I understand it's beneficial in the event of a puncture but is it needed to keep the tyre inflated?
    If you intend to use tubeless I think you should use sealant, too.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho....php?p=2909947
    Tubeless tires--What's the point?

Putting a tube into a tubeless tyre on a roadside is a pain, everybody will agree.

If you and/or your brother think using sealant is too much of a pain then just buy a Neutron and use clinchers and stop stressing so much about the fine choices in life. Didn't he already decide anyway? Are you trying to sway him one way or another?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius
    If you intend to use tubeless I think you should use sealant, too.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho....php?p=2909947
    Tubeless tires--What's the point?

Putting a tube into a tubeless tyre on a roadside is a pain, everybody will agree.

If you and/or your brother think using sealant is too much of a pain then just buy a Neutron and use clinchers and stop stressing so much about the fine choices in life. Didn't he already decide anyway? Are you trying to sway him one way or another?
    My brother has received and fitted his Shamal Ultra 2 Way Fit Wheels and he likes them very much. They do suit his Colnago EPS well according to him. He hasn't fitted tubeless tyres yet and is using Shwalbe Ultremo R'1s. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for tubeless tyres around here. I hope that some new tyres will be introduced by Conti and Michelin that will change that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...%20EPS%202010/

Some pics of the bike and its Shamal Ultra 2 Way fit wheels attached in the above link.

Dutch biker
    To add a bit more comfort to your clinchers, you can use latex inner tubes instead of the ordinary butyls.