RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

Can anybody teach me difference between Lighweight G2 and G3?

I'm looking forward to getting one Lightweight Standard wheels for my Extreme-power.
    But there is a huge price gap between G2 and G3.
    I know that manufacterer said G3 is far better one. And some of the reviews agree with that point. But, I don't think the performance gap is as much as their price gap(about $2000).

Lightweight wheel GURUS help me,,

regards,
    from Seoul, South Korea.

Online Wheel Builder
    If your going to spend that kind of $$ get some wheels with Edge rims. They will out perform the LWs in every way plus they serviceable!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    what makes you so sure of Edge rimes outperforming LW wheels?
    I know that Edge carbon clincher rim has its reputation, but is they that good?
    I want to know more specific information, not a simple opinion.

Online Wheel Builder
    Ok...
    First of all you can build the Edges into a conventional wheel. This means you can taylor them for any rider. You can build an edge to be stiffer than a LW, or to be lighter... You can make them stiffer than the LWs because you can get hubs with wider flanges. On top of this you can also use whatever spoke count you see fit. Plus you cannot service a LW! That is the worst thing about them. You cannot true them you cannot replace spokes. That would be like buying a Porsche that you had to ship back to the factory every time it needed an oil change. If you want to spend that kind of money why not have the wheels custom made for you? The LWs are a one size fits all wheel. WHat do you weigh and what are you planning to do with these wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for quick reply. Actually, I'm considering LW for my weekend cruise with my teammates. Since one of my teammates use LW obermeyer G2 and LW standard G3, everyone raved about their lateral stiffness, ready to go, stiff like hell, they perform superbly etc. I think there could be a hype-like factor in it, but I'm also curious about LW wheels to feel whether LW are that good or not.

I just visit your site, zencyclery. And I think the products on the sites looks impressive. But as I don't get much info for hubs, rims, spokes, would you recommand one high-profile wheel for long-distance(over 150km) trip? I also want to ask you about the hubs' type and performance respectively.

Regards

Online Wheel Builder
    As for rims...
    The Edge 1.68 or 1.45.
    The distinction here is the 68 is a bit heavier but more aero. It will also build a slightly stiffer wheel. If your heavy get the 68 but if your not it might blow you around in cross winds.

Spokes...
    Sapims they are the strongest spokes on the market. They are also lighter than any non-ti spokes. These spokes rock! They are also bladed.

Hubs... If your riding Shimano/Sram get these

If you want the ultimate wheelset put Alchemy hubs into them. The Alchemy ELF is already on the market and we have placed a pre order for the ORCs which we should have by the end of the month. The ELF is undisputedly the best light weight road hub by custom builders. It is very light at 64 grams. It has a huge axel that makes the hub itself very stiff and very strong. The ELF has a maximum force load that is higher than any other road hub. The bearings are also much larger than any other road hub out there. So the bearings are can not only just take much higher loads but they will outlast other ceramic and conventional bearings by orders of magnitude! Plus they are stock ceramic so they spin great. I took an ELF out of the box a few weeks ago and spun it between my fingers... It spun by itself for about 20 seconds!!! I have never seen any hub do that before. Along with all of this these hubs have the widest flanges of any hub on the market so they will build the stiffest wheels. Jeremy who owns Alchemy is one of the most renowned wheel builders in the world and he designed these hubs to "Be perfectly optimized to build the nicest wheels possible." He is one of our distributors so I work with him regularly and he runs a great customer oriented business. The hubs are made in the USA by a mom and pop company. The ORC is supposed to weigh about 205 grams and both hubs are available in black and silver. We were given permission from Alchemy to power coat them so we will start that as soon as we get the ORCs in. Colors we will do will include red, white, green, blue, gold, and glow in the dark! They will retail for 180$ and 420$. We will charge an additional 30-50$ for powder coating for the set and it should take 1 additional week.

banned
    Aug 2006
    zen, face it, now heel can touch a LW, they are uber stiff and uber lught and ubver pimp .

edge is for cheap americans.