Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    838

    Can i keep my Shamal Ultras when I move from 10sp to 11sp Campy?

    I'm not sure how old these Campy Shamals are...about 10 yrs, i would say. I'm currently running Chorus 10 speed (2003-ish) and thinking of buying a used Super Record 11sp gruppo when my rich buddy gets the 12 speed the second it comes out this summer. Thoughts? Cautions? Suggestions what price would make this a deal worth buying slightly scraped-up used parts? I'm lightweight and i ride the mountain bike 1/2 the time, so my parts last a while....if you were wondering.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,257
    You're good.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,710
    No problem. What you've likely read that has you asking would be Shimano/Sram specific. No issue for Campy.

    The wisdom and reasoning behind buying a used group set for one extra gear because someone else is buying something is suspect. But whatever.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

    The wisdom and reasoning behind buying a used group set for one extra gear because someone else is buying something is suspect. But whatever.
    Thanks both of you for the replies. FYI, I'm buying it to get a compact gearing mainly, secondarily for the carbon bling. I live in mountains and the standard rings with a 26 just aren't making me happy in the steeps anymore. Anyway, with acceptable reasons, do you still think a used gruppo is a bad idea? I suppose there will be discounts on 11 speed now....

  5. #5
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,257
    Used parts are only a good idea if you're able to determine that they're in good shape. If you don't know how to do this you have to hope the person you're buying from is very honest.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,710
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    Thanks both of you for the replies. FYI, I'm buying it to get a compact gearing mainly, secondarily for the carbon bling. I live in mountains and the standard rings with a 26 just aren't making me happy in the steeps anymore. Anyway, with acceptable reasons, do you still think a used gruppo is a bad idea? I suppose there will be discounts on 11 speed now....
    Tough to say because who knows if it's 'take off' stuff someone rode around the block or if it's been used and abused. Or where in between. Pretty much like buying anything used. It's worn to some degree.

    I will say it's a better idea with Campy than Shimano because the shifters can be rebuilt. Though from what I understand that can be a pain to find someone to do it and I don't know about the cost.

    Hard to say how worn shifters are and they are the big $ items so at least you won't be totally stuck if one dies like with shimano. Rings are expensive too but you, or someone who would know, can see for yourself how worn the chain rings are.
    Derailleurs don't really die of natural causes so as long and they are not damaged you should be good there. Chains and cassettes are wear items that you'll replace sooner or later anyway so who cares.

  7. #7
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Tough to say because who knows if it's 'take off' stuff someone rode around the block or if it's been used and abused. Or where in between. Pretty much like buying anything used. It's worn to some degree.

    I will say it's a better idea with Campy than Shimano because the shifters can be rebuilt. Though from what I understand that can be a pain to find someone to do it and I don't know about the cost.

    Hard to say how worn shifters are and they are the big $ items so at least you won't be totally stuck if one dies like with shimano. Rings are expensive too but you, or someone who would know, can see for yourself how worn the chain rings are.
    Derailleurs don't really die of natural causes so as long and they are not damaged you should be good there. Chains and cassettes are wear items that you'll replace sooner or later anyway so who cares.
    Relatively speaking, Campy shifters are pretty cheap. Shimano shifters are expensive. Cranks are the opposite for the two. It's always amused me that Campy shifters can be rebuilt, but pretty cheap (probably cheaper to just replace them) while Shimano shifters are expensive and disposable.

    LS chic -- I would bet there's plenty of life in that used group set. Maybe replace the cassette and chain. You'll really like the compact rings for climbing. I've always considered Record, and especially Super Record as a waste of money compared to the mechanically identical Chorus group. Its a lot of money to save a couple hundred grams. If the guy wants the same money that you can get a brand new Chorus group for, I'd get the Chorus. Sounds to me that if he's willing to shell out $3000+ for a 12-speed Super Record group, money doesn't matter too much.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Relatively speaking, Campy shifters are pretty cheap. Shimano shifters are expensive. Cranks are the opposite for the two. It's always amused me that Campy shifters can be rebuilt, but pretty cheap (probably cheaper to just replace them) while Shimano shifters are expensive and disposable.

    LS chic -- I would bet there's plenty of life in that used group set. Maybe replace the cassette and chain. You'll really like the compact rings for climbing. I've always considered Record, and especially Super Record as a waste of money compared to the mechanically identical Chorus group. Its a lot of money to save a couple hundred grams. If the guy wants the same money that you can get a brand new Chorus group for, I'd get the Chorus. Sounds to me that if he's willing to shell out $3000+ for a 12-speed Super Record group, money doesn't matter too much.
    Not sure where you're looking, but Campy SR shifters cost more than Shimano 9100 shifters on average.

  9. #9
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    Not sure where you're looking, but Campy SR shifters cost more than Shimano 9100 shifters on average.
    Thanks for setting me straight on that. I'm sure LS Chic thanks you too. I said relatively speaking. Check out how much SR cranks cost. I would compare 9100 with Chorus, or maybe Record, not SR.

  10. #10
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,257
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Thanks for setting me straight on that. I'm sure LS Chic thanks you too. I said relatively speaking. Check out how much SR cranks cost. I would compare 9100 with Chorus, or maybe Record, not SR.
    Normally you'd compare the top of the line groups from each manufacturer...D/A, Red, Super Record. Oddly enough if I order those shifters through QBP they list the msrp on 9100 levers at $685.00 and Super Record at $495.00. So much for comparing D/A to Chorus.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Similar Threads

  1. Shamal vs Shamal 2 way vs Shamal Mille
    By framesti in forum Campagnolo
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 05:45 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 04:36 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 05:18 PM
  4. Campy Shamal Ultras.... Tubeless??
    By DanTourino in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
  5. shamal ultras?
    By steel515 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.