Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005

Cane Creek Volos T.I. or Kyserium ES?

I am considering my next set of wheels for a bike build I will be doing this year. I got in on the group buy for a Pedal Force RS frameset (carbon frame and fork for $550 delivered) and I was considering my options for the wheels that will be used with this frame. I currently have an older set of Cane Creek Volos T.I. with the titanium spokes that I bought second hand and I am quite happy with them. They were well used before I got them so I do not consider them rebuildable as it might cost me about as much to rebuild them as it costs to buy a new set of CC Volos TI's. The thing is that I saw a pair of the Kyserium ES wheels at the LBS today and the little wheels in my head started spinning. For a few hundred dollars more I can buy a set of these uber wheels but, would the Kyseriums be a marked difference in terms of weight, ride quality, quality of the parts, longevity, serviceability, etc? I weigh 145 lbs and want to lose abotu 10 lbs this year so I don't have too many worries about overloading a set of wheels like these.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    really, K's are over-rated. they're not super light, they're not aero....

the reason most buy K's are for the durability. you do not really need durability at your weight.

you can do a lot better for your money. this is what i recommend:

-custom built. can't go wrong, b/c you tell an expert wheelbuilder exactly what you want, and you get it.
    -easton tempest II - 1500 grams, 30 mm rim....durability not really an issue b/c of the larger rim, especially at your weight, handbuilt, fantastic hubs.

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    I forgot to mention that the wheelset that I replaced when I got my current CC Volos wheels are a pair of 32 hole Mavic Open Pros laced to Shimano Ultegra hubs with Sapim CX-Ray bladed spokes, 2X all around except for the drive side at 3X. I put that wheelset on my nephew's bike because I was changing from Shimano to Campy cassettes. I've considered building another set for my build using Record hubs, 28 front and 32 rear (since Mavic Open Pros only come in 28, 32, and 36 hole).