RoadBikeReview Member

Cannondale Hollowgram Tubeless-ONLY Wheels

Just a heads-up if you're considering these wheels. They're great wheels, but really should be run with tubeless tires.

I bought these wheels second-hand, but new - a guy bought a new Cannodale, but kept his Zipps. Sweet deal on a set of sweet carbon wheels. And, they came with a set of Schwalbe tires mounted... with tubes.

I have a few hundred miles on the wheels. They're great. Well, with one exception. I flatted on a ride this week. First flat in a long (!) time and first flat with this wheelset and tires. It took 20 minutes to swap the tube.

I have been riding and building bikes since my BMX days in the 80s. I'm one of the guys in the club the others look to when something goes wrong with their bike - including changing a flat (morning rides are time crunched). Well, I let two other guys jump in to see if they could do better. One of the guys was a bike mechanic years ago.

There were a lot of comments like "Son of a &#^* this is tight" "This $&@* won't go on" We were unsure if the tires were "small" or the rim was "big". That evening, in the comfort and convenience of my shop (garage), I swapped the tires for a set of Contis hoping the Schwalbes were the culprit. Nope. It's the rims. Got one on. But after destroying my fingers, I ran out of gas (and feeling) and gave up. Decided it was moot anyway - NO WAY I'm going through that wrestling match on the side of the road again.

So, tubeless tires have been ordered. Damn it.

Cannondale Hollowgram Tubeless-ONLY Wheels-screen-shot-2018-03-29-3.46.53-pm.jpg

Yes, we tried finishing at the stem, finishing opposite the stem, making sure the bead was in the middle...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I don't understand how tubeless tires are going to help that, as they're generally pretty/really tight and their (or is it there? or they're? - j/k joke from another thread) beads don't stretch.

That tire looks brand spanking. I'd put it on another rim that you know it goes onto, inflate it to like 100 and leave it there for several days, and then put it in the dryer for a short time and then try to install it on the Cannondale wheels.

If there's a regular rim strip in there, take it out and replace it with Schwalbe tubeless tape (thinnest stuff going). There are various bead lubes (that sounds dirty) that can help with mounting, but dish soap works well for that. It just helps get that last chunk over the lip.

If you ordered Hutchinson tubeless, PLEASE take a video or at least sound record the installation. We all might learn some new naughty words.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've mounted Hutchinson tubeless once... once. I'm going with Schwalbe Pro Ones.

I realize the tubeless tires will be a ***** to mount. The thinking is that I'm less likely to have another roadside wrestling match from a puncture or pinch flat if they're tubeless.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got a new bike with these wheels. Took both tires off (Pro One tubed) last night and put them back on with no problems. Only about a minute each with my bare hands to get them on. I was actually impressed with how easy it was.

Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    I don't understand how tubeless tires are going to help that....
    Yea me too. If they're that tight, tubeless tires will make a roadside repair impossible.

If there's a regular rim strip in there, take it out and replace it
    That's the first thing I'd check. Might be too thick strip in there.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really? tig, that's surprising. Three of four tires I/we tried were the tightest tires I've ever mounted on a road wheel. Ironically, the one tire I was able to mount (a 5 min. wrestling match) was a brand new Conti. New tires are usually a little bit tougher to mount. Those tubed Schwalbes were brutal. I do like the Schwalbes.

And again - I realize tubeless tires will be at least as difficult to mount. The thinking is that they will be less likely to require a roadside repair. I know tubeless isn't invincible... just less prone to pinch and puncture flats.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Really? tig, that's surprising. Three of four tires I/we tried were the tightest tires I've ever mounted on a road wheel. Ironically, the one tire I was able to mount (a 5 min. wrestling match) was a brand new Conti. New tires are usually a little bit tougher to mount. Those tubed Schwalbes were brutal. I do like the Schwalbes.
    I was surprised to read your post considering I just checked the tires last night. Maybe you got an out of spec wheel? Or maybe I do!
    I did a little research on the Hollowgram wheels before purchasing. Don't recall any complaints about tires fitting them.

The rim strip in mine is that (don't know what it's called) non-stretch plastic webbing strap stuff that's heat welded at the seam. Not sure how thick it is.

I've been running Schwalbe Pro One tubeless on my other bike (winter foul/weather bike). And have to say I'm really impressed. I was concerned about how thin they feel. But they've held up great. Replaced my first one (rear) at 3,300mi. It was still in really good condition. Never had a flat, or puncture I was aware of. But it was getting pretty squared off. The front tire still looks great.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Took both tires off (Pro One tubed) last night and put them back on with no problems. Only about a minute each with my bare hands to get them on. I was actually impressed with how easy it was.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Carbon rims? Does the manual permit tools? Some rims are no-tools, otherwise I'd recommend a bead-jack if you don't have one.

TL tires will be as tight or tighter.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "