jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

Cannot Inflat tire- Removable Presta Valve will not stay open!! Help

I just recently put removable presta valve core inner tube and I now cannot put air into my tires. I opened the valve all the way and locked it by giving it an extra tug, still cannot pump air. I get pressure but no air will go in tire. Does anybody know what is causing this? Bad inner core valve?

A wheelist
    Extra tug? No, you unscrew the little thingamajig and then press it inwards to break its seal and then you're good to inflate.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Extra tug? No, you unscrew the little thingamajig and then press it inwards to break its seal and then you're good to inflate.
    I will definitely try that! thanks

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by jwk View Post
    I will definitely try that! thanks
    When you hear a goodly "pssst" you know you've done it. With a tube with no air in it, you won't hear the "pssst" of course but the seat could be stuck and it need of unseating. So - always press the stem inwards before inflation.

And always re-tighten the thingamajig too - air pressure should make the seal but it doesn't always, as I found out last summer.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    When you hear a goodly "pssst" you know you've done it. With a tube with no air in it, you won't hear the "pssst" of course but the seat could be stuck and it need of unseating. So - always press the stem inwards before inflation.

And always re-tighten the thingamajig too - air pressure should make the seal but it doesn't always, as I found out last summer.
    I also forgot to include, when I tried unsuccessfully to get air into my tires yesterday, they were new so I am now thinking not having any air in the tires, the valves needed to be primed. Now that they are fully inflatted, getting air is now easy and the pressure keeps the valve open. I think when there was no pressure, it did not keep the valve open

A wheelist
    I also forgot to include, when I tried unsuccessfully to get air into my tires yesterday, they were new so I am now thinking not having any air in the tires, the valves needed to be primed. Now that they are fully inflatted, getting air is now easy and the pressure keeps the valve open. I think when there was no pressure, it did not keep the valve open
    I don't agree. Air pressure keeps the valve seated and sealed. When the tube was new the valve seat was stuck and it needed to be manually separated.

I have a tip for you. With any new (or empty tube not already inside a tire), unscrew the nut, press the stem to unseat and, by mouth, insert enough air to slightly inflate the tube. This will make installation into the tire easier, plus you will know that the seat seal has been broken.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    wrong. air pressure inside the tube keeps both presta and schrader valves CLOSED, not open.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Jeebus, I am con-fuzed.

I need a beer.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I have a tip for you. With any new (or empty tube not already inside a tire), unscrew the nut, press the stem to unseat and, by mouth, insert enough air to slightly inflate the tube. This will make installation into the tire easier, plus you will know that the seat seal has been broken.
    And whatever you do dont stick it in your eye.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I don't agree. Air pressure keeps the valve seated and sealed. When the tube was new the valve seat was stuck and it needed to be manually separated.

Thanks! I have learned so much. I am primarily a runner but this season I plan on getting more into cycling as I am tired of running