RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Carbon clincher for my Felt AR5

I have an 2010 AR5 and I'm looking for a carbon clincher in the $1000 range. I am planing on doing a few races next year but would like a wheel durable enough for everyday training/riding as well. I have narrowed it down to these choices:

1. Williams carbon clincher 38 or 58
    2. Reynolds Assault
    3. Reynolds Attack

Are there any other choices I should be considering? I am leaning towards the Williams, but am not sure what depth to go with 38 or 58?

Also would anyone happen to know the weight of the stock AR5 wheels?

Thanks ahead for any help,

-Scott

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzjunk
    I have an 2010 AR5 and I'm looking for a carbon clincher in the $1000 range. I am planing on doing a few races next year but would like a wheel durable enough for everyday training/riding as well. I have narrowed it down to these choices:

1. Williams carbon clincher 38 or 58
    2. Reynolds Assault
    3. Reynolds Attack

Are there any other choices I should be considering? I am leaning towards the Williams, but am not sure what depth to go with 38 or 58?

Also would anyone happen to know the weight of the stock AR5 wheels?

Thanks ahead for any help,

-Scott

Easton EC90 or EC90 Aero? Those can be had for around 1000 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Hanging 10 bra
    I actually have the Easton Aero for my Felt and they seem like a great wheel, but I wouldnt mind a set of Reynolds too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Not really what you asked for but with a $1000 to spend on carbon clinchers I'd get Dura Ace c24's from a UK site where they can be had with that budget. They're only kinda carbon clinchers but IMO a wise choice for that money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Be patient and you can find some deals to be had; I worked out a deal on these from my LBS where I bought my bike from...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon clincher for my Felt AR5-pc120255.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 95zpro
    Be patient and you can find some deals to be had; I worked out a deal on these from my LBS where I bought my bike from...
    Very Nice!

I was actually considering a set of 404 at my LBS. I think they were priced at around $1500 for the set. It all depends on what I get back from Uncle Sam.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can also find good used deals on craigslist and ebay or over on slowtwitch.com. You should be able to get a used set of Zipp 404, FP 60's or HED Jet 6's for that price. Bonktown has also had good deals on Reynolds if you keep checking. I know some people knock Mavic's, but you can also get a good deal on Mavic Carbones for about that.

banned
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 95zpro
    my bad for the off topic... what saddle is that in the picture
    my vote goes to Easton EC90 carbon clinchers. Read nothing but great thinds about them. I have seen them go for $1200 new and supposed to have the best braking surface around. you tube easton wheels on how they make their wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adamssss
    my bad for the off topic... what saddle is that in the picture
    my vote goes to Easton EC90 carbon clinchers. Read nothing but great thinds about them. I have seen them go for $1200 new and supposed to have the best braking surface around. you tube easton wheels on how they make their wheels.

It's a Cobb V-Plus saddle, I will admit it's not the lightest but very comfy for those long hours in the saddle! This one seems to be a little tri-specific but they also make more traditional road-looking saddles as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I did do some searching on youtube for the ec90's, I came across a few good ones. I also came across two Williams reviews as well that I haven't seen before. The guy from Cycloclub does a good job reviewing them and also has nothing but great things to say about the owner of Williams wheels and there customer service.

I am going to keep my eye open though for deals since I won't be ready to buy for another month or so. I still keep going back and forth about what rim depth to go with. Will a set of 58mm ride better with an aero bike like the Felt AR's, or will the 38mm be more versatile?