RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Carbon Clinchers/ Swiss Stop pads/ Calipers...Help!?

So I just finished a build of Edge 65's and I replaced my brake pads with the Yellow Swiss Stops and threw them on the bike to enjoy my first ride...BUT
    Once I got everything put on I noticed that the brakes are rubbing on the wheels? I am not sure if these Yellow Swiss Stops are wider? The Calipers are all the way open and they rub, I cannot even close them or they will sit right on the wheel. Now did I miss something in a excited frenzy to roll these beauty's or what?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks!
    Last edited by AaronMaechand; 05-14-2010 at 08:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    measure the rim width of the old alloy rim and the new carbon rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    That could be part of the issue and the new Swiss Stop pads are probably thicker than the ones that were on the bike before. I have the same issue when I put my Zipp 303 tubulars / Swiss Stops on my bike. I just leave the quick release for the caliper open and ease off on the adjusting barrel until I have the clearance I want. Alternatively, reposition the cable to open the caliper more.

chamois creme addict
    I have some Edge 45s and use SwissStop yellow with Campy brakes. The SwissStop pads are thicker for sure, plus the Edge rims might be slightly wider at the braking track. I actually swap pads in holders (I have spare holders) and loosen the cable attachment bolt to let out a bit of cable when I swap to the carbon wheels. Takes 10 min total to do the swap.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMaechand
    So I just finished a build of Edge 65's and I replaced my brake pads with the Yellow Swiss Stops and threw them on the bike to enjoy my first ride...BUT
    Once I got everything put on I noticed that the brakes are rubbing on the wheels? I am not sure if these Yellow Swiss Stops are wider? The Calipers are all the way open and they rub, I cannot even close them or they will sit right on the wheel. Now did I miss something in a excited frenzy to roll these beauty's or what?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks!
    adjust your brakes...you just built wheels, right? and installed the pads?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum