RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Carbon Rim Brake Track Differences?

Can someone, who has plenty of experience with different branded carbon rims, explain the differences in brake tracks? What is preferred? What should be avoided?

There are so many carbon rim choices out there today and it seems to me besides the 2 big factors (cost, weight) the factor that really influences "ridability" is the brake track. If its rough and/or causes pulsing, the rim will not be any fun to ride.

Starting towards the "top" carbon rim/wheel, what's the Zipp rim brake track?
    Going to the bottom, what are the non-branded Chinese/Tiwan rim brake tracks?
    And I assume there is probably something in between these 2 extremes?

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You might ask the question about several rims that are much better than Zipp.

downhill quickly
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jwp3476
    You might ask the question about several rims that are much better than Zipp.
    Well then; if itís important enough for you to add this then cite the rims you are considering for the OP along with a statement of how your suggestions will better the response to his thread start.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How about rims like Lew, Lightweight, Enve, & Reynolds. All have much better reviews than Zipp. I ride Enve and the old Nimble carbon rims and both have excellent braking. The Nimble wheels are over 14 years old and have at least 50,000 miles on them. The Enve wheels are a year old and have about 8,000 miles. Both stop well with Swiss Stop Yellow pads without any pulsing. I have ordered the new Enve grey pads and will see if they are better than the Swiss Stops. I have several riding partners who have had Reynolds rims for several years and are very happy with the braking action. Some of the Zipp users have had some cracking issues but were happy with the braking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    So, obviously I wasn't clear, let me try to clarify. I'm trying to understand what the differences are in brake tracks. I'm not trying to compare rims. If there are only a handful of different types of brake tracks, then I'm looking for someone to list those out. I was just trying to give some examples, as I suspect the higher end rims will contain a better brake track than the lower end rims.

If I look at the brake track on one of the non-branded chinese/tiwan rims, there essentially is no brake track, or at least it just looks like the rim has been sanded a bit where the brake pad will make contact with the rim. If that is the case, then there's 1 for the list(Sanded rim).

Another I suspect would be "aluminum brake track" on carbon rim. Are there others?