RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015

cassette changing question

So I have a set of 11 speed RS11's and I want to put a 9 spd cassette on. If I put that cassette on the wheel will I need to also have the wheel spokes adjusted to even it out and make it run correctly on my frame?

a real member's member
    only if you change the o.l.d. will you need to redish the wheel.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Ah ok,Yeah the LBS guy made it sound like I'd have to redish the wheels no matter what. Maybe go so far as to re-build my wheel.

grizzly moderator
    Just put on your 9s cassette with the 11s 1.85mm spacer and ride away ...... after you change the chain that is....
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    Just put on your 9s cassette with the 11s 1.85mm spacer and ride away ...... after you change the chain that is....
    This.

Why would you need to re-dish the wheel? The size of the freewheel does not change. They are 11-speed wheels which, as DC stated, can be used with an 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette as long as you place an adapter to fill the gap.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LGRider View Post
    Ah ok,Yeah the LBS guy made it sound like I'd have to redish the wheels no matter what. Maybe go so far as to re-build my wheel.

For entertainment, go back to the LBS and have them explain to you how it is that if you don't change the length of the axle in the hub and/or change the spacers on the axle, how would it be that you would need to redish the wheel. You either misunderstood or your LBS got confused or they REALLY don't know what they're talking about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LGRider View Post
    If your LBS guy REALLY said that, then he took you for a patsy and was trying to shake some $$ out of you..
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    If your LBS guy REALLY said that, then he took you for a patsy and was trying to shake some $$ out of you..
    Or if he thought that a re-dish was truly needed he doesn't deserve to be fixing bikes.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Or if he thought that a re-dish was truly needed he doesn't deserve to be fixing bikes.
    This is most likely the case. Or you talked to one of the salespeople who has never fixed a bike, not one of the mechanics.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    Yeah this is what I believed I could do and everything I looked up pointed to me being able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    You either misunderstood or your LBS got confused or they REALLY don't know what they're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This is most likely the case. Or you talked to one of the salespeople who has never fixed a bike, not one of the mechanics.
    IDK if hes a sales guy, mechanic or a little of both TBH. I explained it pretty clearly and its not the hardest bike concept to grasp So he may have just tried to up sell me since all I went in for was the 1.85 spacer. That or hes not that great of a mechanic. Either way it doesn't fill me with confidence in their ability's or honesty there.