RoadBikeReview Member

Centerlock Disc Brake QR Hubs on a Rim Brake Bike

Hi all wheel aficionados!

Is there any reason you can't use disc brake QR hubs with rim brake rims? I am thinking if nothing else, rear spoke tension disparities will be less.

The only disadvantage I can think of to doing this would be weight, though it's not a whole lot.

Thanks!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Will you be able to get them in the frame? If they're 135 and the frame is 130 probably not a big deal.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Will you be able to get them in the frame? If they're 135 and the frame is 130 probably not a big deal.
    Oooops! OK, I knew TA disc spacing was wider (12x142), but didn't realize QR disc spacing was wider as well. At least the front would work, LOL! Nevermind!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    There are some 130mm disc brake rear hubs, but they are a bit obsolete now.

(I ordered some Novatec 130mm disc hubs for a 20" kids bike disc-brake conversion I am doing.)

Also, it might be worth mentioning that 142 rear spacing is, counterintuitively, the same as 135. Slightly over-simplifying, but it is basically a difference of how the hubs are measured.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A front disc hub will require dishing the front rim, and would be less strong than on a non-dished rim brake hub. The rear hub geometry would be less dramatic of a change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    A front disc hub will require dishing the front rim, and would be less strong than on a non-dished rim brake hub. The rear hub geometry would be less dramatic of a change.
    It is true that a front disc wheel requires dishing, but it is not anywhere near as much of a dish as a rear rim brake wheel. Less strong? In theory, yes. But really not enough of a spoke tension disparity to make a difference.

A rear disc brake wheel actually requires less of a dish as a rear rim brake wheel.