Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    woz
    Madcow

Clincher rim review

Ergott and myself have been working on a review of alloy clincher rims. We were just waiting to get the final production version of the SL23 to confirm the specs before publishing it. Now that the SL23 is available in the U.S. we have put the review up. I hope some of you find it useful.

2013 Rim Roundup - Fair Wheel Bikes

Online Wheel Builder
    Great post. I liked Erics point about the A23s. That bugs the hell outta me too!

RoadBikeReview Member

Clincher rim review

Very nice review and consistent with the review quality put out by Fairwheel. The Pacenti has caught my eye; I am wondering if you have noticed the signs of any "bulging" around the spoke bedding when tensioning the DS spokes. I am told of this happening on their box section PL rims although the SL shape is less prone for this to happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Thumbs up

Once again, you guys have shown your love for wheel building by gathering and comparing all this data for us. It is great to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the reviews.

A wheelist
    That was interesting. Many thanks.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How safe is it to fit 23mm clincher tires on rims with internal width as wide as 19mm (according to bikerumor) like on the Pancetta SL23?

I have a fear that the tire will unbead under hard cornering. Am I more worried than I should be?

Recycle King
    You shouldn't think twice about it. I am running 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick 3 on a set of Xero Lite wheels with internal width of 19mm. I have no issue with it. Easy on, easy off.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks a lot. I love it when you guys do roundups.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    This is really great info.
    I am not sure I buy into the wide rim hype.
    I may build a front wheel up with a wide rim to prove it to myself.
    In order to keep weight down as the rim gets wider, material has to be sacrificed somewhere and I think that results in poor braking and durability.
    I currently use Velocity Aerohead on my road bike and Fusions on my tandem.
    Both rims are as light or lighter than similar rims listed above and have been very durable and have good braking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CAADEL View Post
    I have a fear that the tire will unbead under hard cornering. Am I more worried than I should be?
    I'm not worried. I know a guy who runs 20mm tires on the Heds. I use 23mm road tires to seat the tape on 29mm wide MTB tires. The tire looks fine on there, but I wouldn't recommend going that extreme.

Do you have a reference that gives you reason for fearing it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I am not sure I buy into the wide rim hype.
    There is a lot of hype. Improved aero for a rim like the SL23 should be real though, and any of them will give better cornering feel, especially at low pressures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    I have heard that the BHS C472 is made by Kinlin. Is is the same as the XC 279?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Do you have a reference that gives you reason for fearing it?
    All I've read is from Sheldon's Tire Sizing Systems and according to their chart a 28mm tire is the minimum width for a 19mm rim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tazdag View Post
    I have heard that the BHS C472 is made by Kinlin. Is is the same as the XC 279?
    Yes it's the same rim

wheelbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by CAADEL View Post
    All I've read is from Sheldon's Tire Sizing Systems and according to their chart a 28mm tire is the minimum width for a 19mm rim.
    Keep in mind that's inner dimensions, not outer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    Keep in mind that's inner dimensions, not outer.
    I know it's about inner width. That's why I'm worried about fitting narrow tires on extremely wide rims.

wheelbuilder
    From you link.

"Note: This chart may err a bit on the side of caution. Many cyclists exceed the recommended widths with no problem."

Brown seemed more concerned with wider tires on narrower rim in that article. There are so many riders out there on 23mm tires using 23mm (external) rims and I haven't heard of a single issue myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Enve 6.7 rims are 26/24mm outside, there are tons of other HED, Zipp, Kinlin that are all 23mm+. If there was an issue, I am fairly certain we would know about it by now. These are not the first 23mm+ rims and there is no reason these rims would act differently then all of these other rims.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

Online Wheel Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    There is a lot of hype. Improved aero for a rim like the SL23 should be real though, and any of them will give better cornering feel, especially at low pressures.
    I'm interested to see if this is true. The 279s that I'm on now feel a bit slicker in the wind than my 270s, and it sounds like these Pacentis may be even more so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    I'm interested to see if this is true. The 279s that I'm on now feel a bit slicker in the wind than my 270s, and it sounds like these Pacentis may be even more so.
    I have made the same comparison (279s versus 270s) and the wider rim does feel quicker due to being more aero. Also corners better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Clincher rim review

I recently received a pair of Stan's 340's laced to king hubs. They are a low spoke count 20/24 with Dt competition spokes and alloy nipples. After reading some reviews and post I feel like these wheel might be to soft/weak for me. I'm 180lb guy and tend to push bigger gears.
    I was thinking of picking up a pair of DT585 rims and swapping them out for the Stan's. What do you guys think about the 585's? Weight isn't a huge concern. I just want a nice stiff reliable wheel set.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great read, thanks for posting it. Next up, hubs roundup?
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie

RoadBikeReview Member

Clincher rim review

Quote Originally Posted by demonrider View Post
    Great read, thanks for posting it. Next up, hubs roundup?
    They have already done one.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-bl...-overload.html
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    Aah, I should have looked around the site a bit more... Now if they'd update it for 2013 by adding hubs that are much lower priced than $300 like those from BHS and Novatec, it'd be truly complete.
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie

RoadBikeReview Member

Clincher rim review

Quote Originally Posted by demonrider View Post
    Aah, I should have looked around the site a bit more... Now if they'd update it for 2013 by adding hubs that are much lower priced than $300 like those from BHS and Novatec, it'd be truly complete.
    They do not sell those cheap hubs, why would they go out of their way to review something they don't carry. If you want cheap hubs go with cheap hubs if you are looking for quality hubs look at their review. No one would put BHS and novatec in the same league as Alchemy or Chris King. Their review for the cheap hubs would probably read something like "they are cheap, cheap price, cheaply made, you get what you pay for".
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast